Bandwidth Issues

texazian

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been trying to figure this out for awhile and nothing has worked for me. The situation I have is I have have IP cams in the warehouse and a workstation connected to a switch connected to the rest of the network via powerline adapter to the main office about 250 ft away where the NVR was located.

Workstation needs to access the production server in the main office but has trouble because of the IP camera bandwidth. My ping times to the server from the workstation were about 300ms. To solve this, I tried to locate the NVR in the warehouse and separate it via separate VLAN ports. I also tried to connect the cameras directly to the NVR or connect the POE switch directly to the NVR so separate cameras. At first this solved the bandwidth between cameras relaying back to the NVR, my ping times were back down to <5 ms.... but when we started to remote view the NVR from the main office, bandwidth issue came back at a constant 400 ms pings...

Aside from hardwiring the NVR directly from the office.... my other options, moving the NVR back into the office, utilizing VLAN tagging, using wifi mesh type solution.

What do you guys think?
Thanks,

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Need more info .. how many cameras do you have? What is all on your network? Also why did you go with power line why not just run a cat6 ?

ChengXin

n3wb
Reaction score
If you do not want to run a CAT6 cable. You can try to teamviewer to the workstation from the main office and connect to the NVR from the workstation. This will be slightly better.

texazian

n3wb
Reaction score
The guys previous didn't want to run the cat6 ...dig and lay conduit underground...
I've got 10 cameras 9 in the warehouse 1 one in the office. Plan to add 6 more.
The NVR that I have is a hardware based NVR not software based, so not sure how I can use teamviewer or Term serv..

Ryan00

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you do not want to run a CAT6 cable. You can try to teamviewer to the workstation from the main office and connect to the NVR from the workstation. This will be slightly better.

It will NOT be better you can run cat6 up to 300 feet, really 328 feet, no reason for teamviewer straight hardwire is always the best option ! Find a way to run the wire..

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
run ethernet.

latency != bandwidth