Backwards Compass

jmathis

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
Has anyone else tried to use the Compass/Coordinates on the OSD and found it to be coded wrong? I have a few IP2M-853-EW Cameras and one of the new IP2M-863-EW-AI cameras and the compass is flipped over in both of those models. East and West are flipped. This makes it really hard to show the coordinates on the OSD and use them as a reliable Azimuth for where the camera is looking.

I have even gone as far as getting a Dahua 40212TNI and the Compass behaves the same way. I have seen reference that Amcrest is just rebranded Dahua but is this something that Amcrest can actually fix? What can Amcrest actually do to the firmware other than make some GUI changes so it doesn't look like the other brand. The math Calculation is simple. 360 - the camera azimuth = corrected azimuth. I do have a ticket in about this with the newer IP2M-863 camera but the last time we did that with the IP2m-853 camera, Amcrest removed it from their website and no longer sold it.

Has anyone else experienced this compass issue? Are there any work arounds? Thank you.

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
"East and West are flipped" is probably because the camera is using a spherical coordinate system and not a horizontal coordinate system.
You will need to use a formula for your camera to convert to the compass direction.

jmathis

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Jack. I looked up spherical coordinates. That is a lot of interesting math over my head. Honestly, I think they just coded it incorrectly for the way the camera is mounted. If the camera is upside down (yes, I know the camera is not weather rated for upside down operation) it works correctly. And if the camera is mounted north and the camera is mounted correctly, the way you get the corrected bearing is to just subtract the camera compass value from 360.

We are working with support on this. Don't really expect anything. I was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this too.