AVTECH IP Camera / NVR / DVR Devices - Multiple Vulnerabilities

DwainPipe

n3wb
Reaction score
I've noticed my firewall reporting...

Threat Management Alert 2: Attempted Information Leak. Signature ET EXPLOIT AVTECH Authenticated Command Injection in CloudSetup.cgi. From: 167.88.161.157:45506, to: 192.168.9.230:554, protocol: TCP

That target IP address is my Synology NAS running Surveillance Station.

When I googled "Signature ET EXPLOIT AVTECH Authenticated Command Injection in CloudSetup.cgi" I found AVTECH IP Camera / NVR / DVR Devices - Multiple Vulnerabilities and the recommendation of...

Recommendations
---------------
Unfortunately there is no solution available for these vulnerabilities at the moment. You can take the following steps to protect your device:
  • Change the default admin password
  • Never expose the web interface of any Avtech device to the internet

Which of course is good advice hence searching the forum and posting this.

The only thing that I find surprising is I don't have any Avtech cameras or devices, so do Avtech make cameras for other companies as well so the exploits in their software is also in other cameras?

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Never expose the web interface of any Avtech device to the internet
Or your NAS!
That's not an internet-hardened device, there have been quite a lot of exploits against vulnerabilities.

The only thing that I find surprising is I don't have any Avtech cameras or devices
Think of it the other way round - the hackbots are probing to see if you have.
There are probes all the time against a wide range of vulnerabilities on a wide range of devices.
Your firewall will only detect a subset of them.