Avise needed - Camera don't support POE

alexo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been wanting to put in a security camera for a few days, and after some research i found good IP camera with Camera Processor:HI3516C + 1/2.8'' SONY IMX322, but as the seller mentioned it doesn't support POE standart for connection.

So my question is even if camera doesn't support POE, can i use POE switch or injector (to be honest i even don't understand what's the difference) for connection, or for POE connection camera need to support POE?

thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been wanting to put in a security camera for a few days, and after some research i found good IP camera with Camera Processor:HI3516C + 1/2.8'' SONY IMX322, but as the seller mentioned it doesn't support POE standart for connection.

So my question is even if camera doesn't support POE, can i use POE switch or injector (to be honest i even don't understand what's the difference) for connection, or for POE connection camera need to support POE?

thanks
dont buy no name ip cameras....you need the camera to support poe or you will have to buy a poe splitter and make a mess at the connection point...

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
alexo,

Welcome to the forum!
So my question is even if camera doesn't support POE, can i use POE switch or injector (to be honest i even don't understand what's the difference) for connection,
A: Yes. I stupidly bought a WiFi cam, and learned the hard why why WiFi sucks for security cams. So I turned off WiFi, and power the cam with POE. The cam doesn't support POE (since it was WiFi). So I used a poe splitter.

Splitter info, p/n, and instructions are here:
http://www.amazon.com/ELEGIANT-Ethernet-Splitter-Adapter-Cameras/dp/B0146LFMZG
That takes 48V poe and outputs 12V to power the cam (or microphone)
I need help to connect a microphone! DAHUA HDBW4421R-AS

Again, welcome!
Fastb

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alexo

n3wb
Reaction score
ok Fenderman, Got You.

Thanks FastTB, ... so No - WIFI, Yes - POE. :)

I don't know that if camera have WIFI, it doesn't support POE. Thanks one more time.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Ignore my reason for needing the splitter (dumping Wifi)
The point is you can use a splitter. As fenderman pointed out, you'll need something to house the splitter and protect it from weather