Auction Cameras - Junk or Value Find?

Reaction score
I have followed this forum for awhile and eventually want to get a blue iris system with starlight cameras. However, the budget isn't there right now.

I picked these up at an online auction for $15/camera. They are "new" in box, but they are discontinued models.
It seemed like I was getting a good deal based on the online pricing, but now I'm wondering if they are junk.
Can I make this work with Blue Iris? If not, can I get it to run with a DVR and mobile app?

Sorry, I'm a noob here trying to learn the ropes.

I also picked up 3 Cisco POE switches: SG300-10, Sg200-26P and SF300-24MP. Planning on keeping one and selling the other 2 on ebay. Any input on which model is best is greatly appreciated.

Broachoski

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
For the price I would say you hit a home run. Back in the 90's I frequented Websters live auctions and occasionally got a bargain.

Reaction score
So i contacted Speco and they don't have an NVR that will work with these older model cameras. I have a i7-4790 CPU with 8 GB of RAM and the above POE switches.

So i can connect POE cameras to POE+switch.
POE+ switch to router.
Router to PC.
Then i just need to install a security camera software on the pc and setup the cameras.
Right? Sorry again, I know these are entry level questions.

I emailed BI to see if my camera models are supported.

Reaction score
The cameras are ONVIF so at least the Blue Iris generic ONVIF should make the cameras operate.
If you want to learn Blue Iris and Cameras and all that... just keep searching this site (ONVIF, for example). Read up on things. Before I started asking questions, I probably spent a good month or two reading up on past postings to understand the lingo, why & how things work, what to avoid, etc.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Put them on a test rig, install the demo version of BlueIris and see if they do the job... as in you can ID people in the day / night and also moving objects. If they work for you then you have a bargain.

But remember to block Internet access for these cameras as like 99% of IP cameras they will be trying to dial home or somewhere and become an easy target to hack due to their weak "afterthought" security measures.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have found out of all of the ONVIF cameras about 80-905 of them worked with BlueIris. Out of the ones that did not show ONVIF,
about 50% of them would still work with Blueiris. It takes time to try different strings if the generic does not work.
I use VLC to find the strings a lot of times.

Read the WiKi and tools