Assistance with T5442TM video settings

Underwhere

n3wb
Reaction score
I have 3 of the T5442TM cameras.
These are the 2.8mm fixed lense with 1/1.8 sensor. It has the Starlight+ feature for low light.

2 of them work incredibly well. They never use the IR light because there is enough ambient light to show color and use daylight settings.

I bought one for my back yard which does not have much ambient light and cannot get the camera to read properly and switch properly.
Can anyone suggest how to edit the settings? I have seen times where a few minutes the camera actually adjusts for color night vision and it's perfect...so I know it's capable. I just cannot tune it to work properly.
I don't think I need the Illuminator on. I think the camera would do just fine without it, but I think it might think it's daylight still.

The front porch has tons of ambient light.
The back yard has some light from around the corner of the house but the rest is just dark.

Picture: Standard
Exposure:
Exposure.png
Backlight : Off
WB: Auto
Day & Night: Color
Illuminator: Auto
Defog: Off
LDC: Off

FrontPorch.png
Backyard1.png

Underwhere

n3wb
Reaction score
I think this is what it looks like on a different profile where the Day & Night is set to Auto

Backyard 2.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is an incredible camera and I have several of them, but you are falling for the NOOB mistake and being misled by what you think you see.

Surveillance cameras rarely do good on default auto settings like exposure/shutter at night. Any camera can be forced in color and look great for a static image, but motion is a blur.

Your nice static image probably has blur with motion, which then renders it useless. Post some video of someone walking past and you will see what I mean.

Starlight+ is not a feature - it is simply a marketing term...

Maybe you have enough light, but maybe not. These sensors are small and need a lot of light to stay in color. Most of us have to force it in color if we want color.

Let's dial the camera in to eliminate blur at night with motion and then see what happens.

In my opinion, shutter (exposure) and gain are the two most important parameters and then base the others off of it. Shutter is more important than FPS. It is the shutter speed that prevents motion blur, not FPS. 15 FPS is more than enough for surveillance cameras as we are not producing Hollywood movies. Match iframes to FPS. 15FPS is all that is usually needed.

Many people do not realize there is manual shutter that lets you adjust shutter and gain and a shutter priority that only lets you adjust shutter speed but not gain. The higher the gain, the bigger the noise and see-through ghosting start to appear because the noise is amplified. Most people select shutter priority and run a faster shutter than they should because it is likely being done at 100 gain, so it is actually defeating their purpose of a faster shutter.

But first, run H264, smart codec off, CBR, and 8192 bitrate to start. This should make it more crisp.

Go into shutter settings and change to manual shutter and start with custom shutter as ms and change to 0-8.3ms and gain 0-50 (night) and 0-4ms exposure and 0-30 gain (day)for starters. Auto could have a shutter speed of 100ms or more with a gain at 100 and shutter priority could result in gain up at 100 which will contribute to significant ghosting and that blinding white you will get from the infrared.

Now what you will notice immediately at night is that your image gets A LOT darker. That faster the shutter, the more light that is needed. But it is a balance. The nice bright night static image results in Casper blur and ghost during motion LOL. What do we want, a nice static image or a clean image when there is motion introduced to the scene?

In the daytime, if it is still too bright, then drop the 4ms down to 3ms then 2ms, etc. You have to play with it for your field of view.

Then at night, if it is too dark, then start adding ms to the time. Go to 10ms, 12ms, etc. until you find what you feel is acceptable as an image. Then have someone walk around and see if you can get a clean shot. Try not to go above 16.67ms (but certainly not above 30ms) as that tends to be the point where blur starts to occur. Conversely, if it is still bright, then drop down in time to get a faster shutter.

You can also adjust brightness and contrast to improve the image.

You can also add some gain to brighten the image - but the higher the gain, the more ghosting you get. Some cameras can go to 70 or so before it is an issue and some can't go over 50.

But adjusting those two settings will have the biggest impact. The next one is noise reduction. Want to keep that as low as possible. Depending on the amount of light you have, you might be able to get down to 40 or so at night (again camera dependent) and 20-30 during the day, but take it as low as you can before it gets too noisy. Again this one is a balance as well. Too smooth and no noise can result in soft images and contribute to blur.

Do not use backlight features until you have exhausted every other parameter setting. And if you do have to use backlight, take it down as low as possible.

After every setting adjustment, have someone walk around outside and see if you can freeze-frame to get a clean image. If not, keep changing until you do. Clean motion pictures are what we are after, not a clean static image.

Underwhere

n3wb
Reaction score
This is awesome thank you.
I've made some adjustments and it's already better.

What are your thoughts on putting a small 60 watt light off the corner of the house to light up the back yard a bit. Am I complicating things?

Shutter-Day.png
Shutter-Night.png

BackyardNew.png

Attachments

Last edited:

johnfitz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
But first, run H264, smart codec off, CBR, and 8192 bitrate to start. This should make it more crisp.
Hi @wittaj

At what point/for what reason would you adjust the bitrate either up or down from 8192?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Bitrate helps determine the clarity or crispness of the image. So it can be up to each of our eyes as to when the picture looks the best.

Most of us found that the 4MP 5442 cam needs at least 8192 bitrate. If you go with fewer FPS you can go lower, if you go with a higher FPS you should go higher.

So I recommend 8192 as a start. The lower the bitrate, the lower the quality but also less video storage is needed. So it is a tradeoff.

No reason to run 20,000 bitrate if your eyes cannot tell the difference between the 8192 image and the 20,000 image.

If the scene has a lot of contrast or movement, it can dictate a higher bitrate.

So I start with 8192 and then try a higher and lower until you don't see a difference in quality to your eyes.

johnfitz

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So I recommend 8192 as a start. The lower the bitrate, the lower the quality but also less video storage is needed. So it is a tradeoff.
If I’m not concerned with disk space/retention period and the system has enough incoming bandwidth available, is it ok to just use the maximum bitrate… will this ever lower the video quality?

Also, I can’t seem to understand the difference between CBR and VBR… whatever maximum bitrate I set the camera seems to use that much regardless of this setting?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
If I’m not concerned with disk space/retention period and the system has enough incoming bandwidth available, is it ok to just use the maximum bitrate… will this ever lower the video quality?

Also, I can’t seem to understand the difference between CBR and VBR… whatever maximum bitrate I set the camera seems to use that much regardless of this setting?
CBR = Constant Bit Rate. The cam will stream continually at whatever rate you set. Generally better as far as image quality goes.

VBR = Variable Bit Rate. The cam can vary the rate (depending on what it detects in the image) up to a limit of the rate set. i.e., If it doesn't detect much happening, it can reduce the rate. Generally better as far as saving resources.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
CBR is the prefered way to ensure the highest quality.

Some cams running max bitrate and maxing out other parameters like FPS and lots of IVS rules can cause the camera to stutter or miss because the little CPU in the camera is being maxed out.

You can certainly run it at max bitrate and many here do, but if you don't notice a difference between max bitrate and 8192 then it is using extra resources.

And sometimes depending on the view, running too high a bitrate can make the image look a little digital.

Burton_Flooring

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also, new to the T5442TM and does anyone have any experience with LDC or Defog? These are new settings to me.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Also, new to the T5442TM and does anyone have any experience with LDC or Defog? These are new settings to me.
Try not to use them if you can.

The LDC basically zooms in a little to eliminate the "warping" look if your field of view has it. But unless it is bad, I wouldn't do it.

Defog is supposed to make the image clearer during fog conditions, but unless you are 24/7 in fog, it is just adding potential noise and issues to the image.

Burton_Flooring

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm assuming "Advanced 3D" and "Advanced 2D" are in regards to noise reduction. Any thoughts on those settings?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm assuming "Advanced 3D" and "Advanced 2D" are in regards to noise reduction. Any thoughts on those settings?
Yes those are noise reduction. 3D is to take care of the stuff in motion while 2D covers the stuff not moving.

In theory you can run 2D higher because of it and will keep the background nice and calm and the 3D should be lower as that is what is being used for motion.

Like many things, real like and theory are worlds apart. I have tried it both ways and found 2D too high and it will impact movement, so I try to keep them around the same (under 25 during the day and under 40 at night). Some have found that 2D at 15 is the best, but it is subjective based on your tastes and field of view.

Burton_Flooring

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, last question, hopefully.

Bitrate options seem to be capped at 8192 in the settings.

I know the specs list 20480 as the max bitrate so I'm confused. I'd like to use something at least higher than 8192.

I'm using the latest firmware from Dahua (DH_IPC-HX5XXX-Volt_MultiLang_NP_Stream3_V2.840.0000000.13.R.220110.bin)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure you are using Internet Explorer. Select Customized and then manually type in the bitrate.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If you scroll down the bitrate setting there should be a "curtomized" list with "manual" selection. Select that and a new box will open where you enter your desired bit rate.

Burton_Flooring

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What bitrate (fps) are y'all running at?

I've run my 2 megapixel STARLIGHT's at 1080p 22fps 10240kbps

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure you re-read my post #3 above as running any camera on default/auto settings will not get the best performance.