Apple M1 Mac Mini for Running Blue Iris

doody

n3wb
Reaction score
Anybody tried running their cam server on Apple's new hardware?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Anybody tried running their cam server on Apple's new hardware?
Why would you want to? Crazy Overpriced and no room for a 3.5 drive. Not to mention not running it in a native windows environment.

doody

n3wb
Reaction score
Why would you want to? Crazy Overpriced and no room for a 3.5 drive. Not to mention not running it in a native windows environment.
What's another $1000 on a thunderbolt storage rack?? Ha totally agree with you though.....just curious on the power efficiency to performance. I run BI on a i7-9700k (originally built for another purpose) and it annoys me when I hook a kill-a-watt up to it and start doing the math

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What's another $1000 on a thunderbolt storage rack?? Ha totally agree with you though.....just curious on the power efficiency to performance. I run BI on a i7-9700k (originally built for another purpose) and it annoys me when I hook a kill-a-watt up to it and start doing the math
There is nothing as reliable as local storage in the pc.
How much power is the pc using? If there is a discrete card in there remove it.
You started with a high performance processor that is less efficient than its non k counterpart.
Even so there is no way you could make your money back with any power savings, it would take you many many years.
You can just buy a 300 dollar i5-8500 elitedesk if you really want though it still doesnt make financial sense.
You could lower your power consumption by using the substream function to significantly reduce cpu consumption .