Anyone have their BI server crash repeatedily anytime the DB is repaired/compacted/regenerated?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm on UI3 version 214, Blue Iris version: 5.5.7.8. Everything is working like a top. However, anytime the database regenerates - either automatically, or manually - the service crashes, and gets into a loop that I cannot kill, unless...

I delete/rename the c:/bludiris/db folder. Mind you, when I attempt to do so, windows can't because "the file is in use", but I just have to keep retrying until the crash cycle completes. Then for a few seconds I can rename it. Immediately the crashing stops and BI opens and continues to run as normal.

The OS drive is an M.2 1TB drive with around 4000mb/s crystal disk mark scores. The clip drive is an internal sata 14tb spinny (7200) drive.

I haven't reached out to Ken as I wanted to run this past all the resident experts here for ideas. I've disable the automatic (2:00A) compact/repair DB feature, so I'm good for now.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
There were to many variables at play with me changing to a new system, so I can't say for sure when it started - definitely within the last 5 updates or so. But no, I haven't tried rolling back. I'll reach out to Ken before I start walking backwards...

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ok, so Ken gave me some boilerplate suggestions which indicated he felt it was hardware related (i.e. conflicts from the old days). So, I rolled back to 5.5.6.21. Lo and behold, it's able to rebuild the DB w/o crashing. I've shared that with him, and for now, will stay put. What's off-putting is that I once again have to avoid updating...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, so Ken gave me some boilerplate suggestions which indicated he felt it was hardware related (i.e. conflicts from the old days). So, I rolled back to 5.5.6.21. Lo and behold, it's able to rebuild the DB w/o crashing. I've shared that with him, and for now, will stay put. What's off-putting is that I once again have to avoid updating...
5.5.6.21 May 7, 2022 is the latest known stable version as noted in the update page. Beta testing updates comes with some risk.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
5.5.6.21 May 7, 2022 is the latest known stable version as noted in the update page. Beta testing updates comes with some risk.
Sure, and I get that. But if this is a software 'bug', I would have thought others would be experiencing it as well - and it thereby getting attention so that the next stable release has it fixed. If Ken doesn't see the issue, then it likely won't get fixed in future releases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure, and I get that. But if this is a software 'bug', I would have thought others would be experiencing it as well - and it thereby getting attention so that the next stable release has it fixed. If Ken doesn't see the issue, then it likely won't get fixed in future releases.
Many bugs are only experienced by a small percentage of users, and of those some might not even be aware they are having the issue. Many are not on the forum. I would suspect that a majority of users have not upgraded past the stable version. I'm sure it will get worked out one way or another.