ANy suggestions for wireless cameras?

grendel54

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I live in a small apartment and want and easy mountable wireless camera for outside my door. Any suggestions?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@grendel54 ,
Is it safe to assume you are not allowed to run any cables because of landlord policy?
If so, do you have a means to power the camera that IS permissable?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any camera can be made wireless, using a wifi extender with an RJ45 connector. As a single camera does not put out a massive amount of data. The problem with wifi is it can be block, in an apartment the network will be overloaded with a lot of interference. Do not connect to your camera directly from your cell phone !

how are you going to record video ?

Cameras to look at
IPC-HDW2231R-ZS Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
IPC-HDW5231-ZE Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
IPC-HFW4239T-ASE IPC-HFW4239T-ASE
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
IPCT-HDW5431RE-I Review - IP Cam Talk 4 MP IR Fixed Turret Network Camera
DS-2CD2325FWD-I
IPC-T5442TM-AS Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+ - 4MP starlight+
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)

Indoor cameras
DS-2CD2442FWD-IW
IPC-K35 Two model of this camera wired and wifi Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera

grendel54

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Asking for wireless camera suggestions in this forum is like asking for which Republican candidate to vote for in a Democratic convention.

Sent using Tapatalk
i follow this forum and I hold your opinions higher than I would anyone elses. I know I should use POE with a starlight PTZ but honestly I just want to see who is fucking with my shit and I can't run a bunch of wires.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
no power either...has to be battery
You'd need a massive battery! It might need to be bigger than your door perhaps... ;)

Better off with one of these options.

1. Giving up on this idea.
2. Just wiring it up. :)

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Actually maybe consider a peep hole camera through your door? Do those exist?

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@Natey2 Do you run your cameras on a battery though? Never heard of that being a practical possibility.

Temwo

n3wb
Reaction score
For the record:
I have a Ring Doorbell Pro WiFi cam that was described by someone here as "pure crap" and 2 other WiFi cams streaming RTSP over 2.4 GHz WiFi to BlueIris, that somebody called "sub-par" cams.
I don't have any PoE cams at this point in time.

Sent using Tapatalk
Thanks alot Natey2 for this post! I run an 8 ip cam and nvr all wireless at the moment with 5 of the cams working flawlessly while 3 are out of tree NVR's wifi range while I'll be needing help with. True wifi ip cams might not be the best available but considering the ease and flexibility it brings plus the quality of video despite the high compression algorithm it's worth aleast a 2nd look into it.

Am pleading with everyone on this platform to please help and not rundown other people's request, it's fine to suggest better options but still share from your wealth of knowledge and experience to the best of your ability to help.

This the best forum for anything cctv I've seen yet with a wealth of veterans and standard interests but let's help each other get there and who knows collaborating might bring about the best tech yet in the surveillance industry from here!

Thank you guys once again and you all are appreciated.

Temwo

n3wb
Reaction score
Good day everyone,
I've setup a completely wireless cctv system with 8 wireless(all cameras have just power ports with no LAN ports) cameras. 5 of these cameras are connected and working fine but 3 cameras are out of range.

I tried connecting thses 3 cameras through my tp-link Tl-Mr3420 wireless router as a bridge to the wireless NVR but they all seem not to communicate with themselves and I think there's something I have gotten right andI need your help.

Below are my present settings:
The NVR has two different ip addresses:
a. Basic:
Network: (static ip)
ip address: 192.168.0.110,
subnet: 255:255:255:0
gateway: 192.168.0.1

b. Network status:
ip status: 172.20.18.3
gateway status: 172.20.18.1
DNS1 status: 172.20.18.1(connected)
Network status: Ethernet connected
Network speed: 100Mbps

The 5 working ip cams:
ip addresses are 172.20.18.12 to 172.20.18.16 range. Static ip

The 3 not working ip cams:
ip addresses are 172.20.18.17 to 172.20.18.19 range. Static ip

The Tp-link TL-MR3240 (router)
Ip address: 192.168.0.24
gateway: 192.168.0.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

I've changed the routers to:
ip address: 172.20.18.2
gateway: 172.20.18.1
submask: 225.225.225.0
and DHCP: off

Thank you for your prompt response

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Temwo,

Welcome to IPCT! :)

Now with that said, you stated in post #13 above "....Am pleading with everyone on this platform to please help and not rundown other people's request, it's fine to suggest better options but still share from your wealth of knowledge and experience to the best of your ability to help."

My first suggestion is for you to NOT hijack @grendel54 's thread here under "Doorbells" and start your own NEW thread in the proper forum to help you with YOUR problem.

Last edited:

rsoxhater

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I live in a small apartment and want and easy mountable wireless camera for outside my door. Any suggestions?
In all honesty, I used the amazon blink 2 cameras for my Mom's house who just moved south. I wasn't going to fly any of my installers I work with in NY down there to run wire around the house, nor did I want to crawl in the attic or under the house in 95 degree heat. $310 for six cams (watch for sales especially around Prime Day), and I put them up in an hour or two. If you manage your exceptions, you'll be happy. They don't compare to quality cameras by any means, but again, for the price, and what I was working with, I don't hate them. She is happy, and they can manage (I hope) to change the batteries on their own.

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am learning something new here. Thanks for the information guys!! Keep em coming. I am interested in the solar/battery combo as well....

Rebelx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a 15m HDMI cable running in my walls to hide my hdmi devices in the laundry cupboard. Only TV is visible. These are first world problems.

Temwo

n3wb
Reaction score
@Temwo,

Now with that said, you stated in post #13 above "....Am pleading with everyone on this platform to please help and not rundown other people's request, it's fine to suggest better options but still share from your wealth of knowledge and experience to the best of your ability to help."

My first suggestion is for you to NOT hijack @grendel54 's thread here under "Doorbells" and start your own NEW thread in the proper forum to help you with YOUR problem.
@Temwo,

@TonyR
Good day,
Am sorry, never meant to nor saw it as an hijack. I responded with the best solution I knw n felt since its the same line if discuss its okay if I posted it. Am sorry if I've violated any laid down rule. I've actually posted this in a non wireless tread n got no response.

That said, how can I start a thread with this same or similar guys as u guys to participate?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@TonyR
Good day,
Am sorry, never meant to nor saw it as an hijack. I responded with the best solution I knw n felt since its the same line if discuss its okay if I posted it. Am sorry if I've violated any laid down rule. I've actually posted this in a non wireless tread n got no response.

That said, how can I start a thread with this same or similar guys as u guys to participate?
Try posting your issue in "NVR's, DVR's & Computers".

grendel54

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In all honesty, I used the amazon blink 2 cameras for my Mom's house who just moved south. I wasn't going to fly any of my installers I work with in NY down there to run wire around the house, nor did I want to crawl in the attic or under the house in 95 degree heat. $310 for six cams (watch for sales especially around Prime Day), and I put them up in an hour or two. If you manage your exceptions, you'll be happy. They don't compare to quality cameras by any means, but again, for the price, and what I was working with, I don't hate them. She is happy, and they can manage (I hope) to change the batteries on their own.
I am trying these out...ill keep you posted if you like. Damn Amazon.