Any recommendations of a stand alone wild life camera?

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
In the Autumn we had hedgehogs on our property who I was feeding by the back door before the weather turned cold. It was only through having CCTV did I realize that they were frequent visitors. A few weeks ago I bought two hedgehog homes from the pet shop and looking at the mess (crap) in the entrance of one at least, I think we have a resident that's hibernating inside. So I wonder about getting a stand alone, battery powered camera covering the two hedgehog homes to check out the residents should they emerge. The hedgehog homes are in the garden well away from any of my CCTV cameras. Apparently during winter hibernation they can wake up briefly to crap or have a bit of a feed. My intention is to convert the two plastic boxes I have bought into hedgehog feeding stations, not accessable to cats, dogs or foxes who appear most nights, rats apparently might not be an issue.

Looking on Amazon there are loads of these wild life cameras, but which one should I buy? Though living in the UK here, the way Amazon works they often seem to stock things from either side of the pond.

Last edited:

gordo

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
One option is a cellular trail/game camera. They can record video and send you snapshots through cellular. Browning is a good name, I have had one (not cellular though) in the Big Cypress Swamp for 3 years and still going strong.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a ~15 year old Bushnell game camera that I occasionally use. It's really low tech compared to today's standards, making me think just about anything on the market today should be good enough. I also occasionally put out an older IP camera using a few hundred feet of cat6 with rj45s on each end. I put a short 2x4 in a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with rocks to secure the 2x4, then mount the camera. Since you're in UK I'll mention that we have a couple of foxes that are showing up often. We have some relatives in Bromley that complain that the foxes are a nuisance and they are also a protected species. For entertainment, here's a 12 year old clip from the Bushnell camera of a rat avoiding all of the traps.
View attachment big-livetrap_july3.mp4