Any good solutions for push notifications outside of BI android app?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have multiple tablets around the house (and at in-laws place) that I use exclusively for monitoring BI via UI3.

When someone breaks the IR beam at my gate, it triggers an alert for the gate camera that sends out:

1) Push notification to BI app on my cell phone (instant delivery)
2) A text-to-SMS to my (and in-laws) cell phones (anywhere from instant to HOURS delay due to Verizon laggy gateway)
3) An email to my gmail account (arrives within 1 minute)

Obviously the BI app push notification works the best - and it is the only reason I still have it installed on my phone. However, I do not want to install it on the tablets (trying to keep them as debloated and skinny as possible), and especially not on my in-laws tablet.

So the question is, is there a simple fix for android tablets that would allow the BI server to send a push notification directly without delay, minimal overhead, and simple setup?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I got tired of extreme delays or no-shows with BI alerts via SMS/text and went to Pushover several months ago. BI can tell me within 2 seconds the nature of the alert with a custom text. It's a one-time $5 fee for up to 10,000 messages per month per “application token” and its API is well documented. ==>> Send Pushover notifications with pictures and hyperlinks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 on the Pushover app!

The benefit to the Pushover app over the BI app is that you will still get images when off the LAN (unless you are doing port-forwarding now to get images from the BI push when off the LAN which you shouldn't be doing LOL)

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Have your home automation trigger BI.

Use the BI's On Alert function to send an email to your upcoming PushOver.net account. It can use email to send out a text message.

I also use the same On Alert function to email me an image of the gate opening.

No need for UI3.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Another neat feature of PushOver is the use of specific notification sounds set within the API.

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I really like Pushover, and its custom sounds in particular. Just from the sound I can tell which of my 2 BI servers the alert is coming from, and whether it is a person, someone in the room where my gun safe is, a bear, or any other of the selected objects.

My only issue is that I have the alert push a high res image, and the slow DSL at one of my locations causes the notification to lag sometimes by as much as 15 seconds. I suppose I could send out separate text and image notifications, but sometime in the next couple of months I should have gig fiber to the home and that issue should go away completely.

BTW, I just upgraded my phone to Android 13 and it broke Pushover custom sounds. I sent a bug notice to the developer but as yet have received no response. Having come to rely on the custom sounds I figured I'd go ahead and change the default notification sound to the one I use for most of my AI recognized alerts so I would at least know it was coming from BI via Pushover. After going into Pushover>Settings>Choose default sound and selecting the appropriate custom sound, all of my custom sounds started working again :)

Last edited: