Any cameras with separate IR LED and IR Cut filter controls?

Geo Ya

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi - so as the title says: Any cameras with separate IR LED and IR Cut filter controls out there? Esp cameras with a good amount of zoom (> 20 mm?).

I'm asking because with a long zoom camera the IR is not very effective at long distances, but when my cameras go into "night mode" both the IR Cut filter comes out and the IR LED comes on. When it is snowing esp, big blobs near the camera flash by, and when there is a lot of snow falling it sets off the motion trigger in BI. I know I can tape up the LEDs but then they don't work at low zoom/short distance.

I plan to have separate IR lighting for the areas of interest at high zoom levels.

Thx
George

Geo Ya

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi - thanks for the reply. Yes - that is exactly what I wanted to know.

I do have a Hikvision DS-2CD2035FWD-I - and I see a "Day-Night" tab as you mentioned (Under "Image-Display Settings"). The options are On/Off/Auto/Scheduled Switch.

However I do not see an "IR Light" tab???

Under the Day-Night switch tab, there is a "Smart Supplement Light" setting (ON/OFF) - which I don't know what it does. Was set in OFF. So got to thinking - Would that be it?

So I played with that. First I turned it ON, and a new menu item showed up called "Mode" and it was "Auto". I switched that to "Manual", and then yet another menu item showed up: "Distance", which can be set between 1 and 100. So setting it to 1 seems to to darken the image, but then is auto adjusts "back" to be brighter, but not quite as bright as it was. When I go look at the camera, the IR LEDs still appear to be on i.e. glowing dim red, but are dimmer that the 100 setting. So they don't shut off fully...

Thanks for the pointer - that helped greatly!

Not convoluted at all! :) As someone who has designed UIs, there should never be hidden menu items like that - they should be greyed out if inactive. IMO anyway...

Ciao,
Geo