Another New Member

Russell_S

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I have just registered and thought I would introduce myself. My name is Russell from the south coast of the UK.
I have recently installed a security camera system using Blue Iris with 5 cameras set up at the moment covering the front driveway, the back garden and also inside the garage.

It has been a bit of a learning curve regarding the cameras and I have to admit I have purchased a couple of rubbish cheap chinese ones when I didn't know any better. However my latest purchases have been Hikvision and Dahua ones and these have been excellent and very easy to set up.
So I think I have learnt my lesson.

All the best

Russell

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:
Welcome!
Sounds like you have already browsed around on the site. There is a ton of information, and a bunch of nuts, geniuses, nerds,
and just plain good people on here to help you with your problems, or just to help you spend money. :D I fit most all of these categories.
I am sure there will be a couple come along with the standard how to get around the site, and how to research cameras also, good to read.

Russell_S

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome to IPCT! :wave:

Be sure to optimize that PC with these tips ==>> Optimizing Blue Iris' CPU Usage
Thanks very much, I'll take a look at that.

Welcome!
Sounds like you have already browsed around on the site. There is a ton of information, and a bunch of nuts, geniuses, nerds,
and just plain good people on here to help you with your problems, or just to help you spend money. :D I fit most all of these categories.
I am sure there will be a couple come along with the standard how to get around the site, and how to research cameras also, good to read.
Thanks for the welcome. I don't need any help spending money, I've got a wife that does that for me. She's very generous like that :D

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My standard welcome to the forum message.

Read Study Plan before spending money
Cameras are for surveillance to get information for after the fact. Cameras are NOT a deterrent.

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Quick start
1) If you do not have a wired monitored alarm system, get that first
2) Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
3) Start with a good variable focus camera, so you test for the correct lens,lighting, camera placement.
4) use a VPN to access home network (openVPN)
5) Do not use wifi cameras.
6) Do not use cloud storage
7) Do Not use uPNP, P2P, QR, do not open ports,
8) More megapixel is not necessarily better.
9) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most))
10) Do not use reolink, ring, nest, Arlo, Vivint cameras (they are junk), no cloud cameras
11) If possible use a turret camera , bullet collect spiders, dome collect dirt and reflect light (IR)
12) Use only solid copper, AWG 23 or 24 ethernet wire. , no CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum)
13) use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2
14) (Looney2ns)If you want to be able to ID faces, don't mount cams higher than 7ft. You want to know who did it, not just what happened.
15) Use a router that has openVPN built in (Most ASUS, Some NetGear....)
16) camera placement use the calculator... IPVM Camera Calculator
17) POE list PoE Switch Suggestion List
18) Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart
19) Camera lens size, a bigger number give more range but less field of view. Which Security Camera Lens Size Should I Buy?
20) verify your camera placement, have a friend wearing a hoodie, ball cap and sunglasses looking down approach the house, can you identify them at night ?
21) DO NOT UPGRADE your NVR or camera unless you absolutely have a problem that needs to be fixed and known what you are doing, if you do you will turn it into a brick !!