Analog PTZ to IP

Prinler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a friend whom I helped install a complete analog camera system over Cat5 knowing he would be going IP in a few years. One of his pride and joys in an old PTZ camera on a power pole in his yard that auto tracks and zooms. Cost him like $1500. Needless to say he would like to use it on the new system if there is a way. Currently it is connected via a balun only for the video. meaning only O(-) and OW(+) are being used for video. The brown is connected to the huge power supply. The green was connected as the RS232.

I did reach out to Andy, and he sold me a Dahua LR1002-1ET. It didn't come with any papers or anything so im not sure how to use it. When i looked it up online it seems to need more then just this part to work?

Steve

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I have a couple of mixed systems with HDCVI as well as IP cams. I use the Dahua XVR to record as it accepts both inputs. So thats one choice.

Ive not tried to actually convert an analog camera to a digital signal that effectively is controlled by IP. Not sure its possible.

Last edited:

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ive not tried to actually convert an analog camera to a digital signal that effectively is controlled by IP. Not sure its possible.
I am yet to try this out with my current setup.
Once I get the new cameras up I'll disconnect my Bosch analogue PTZ and trial out a Analogue to IP encoder (with serial output). I believe the encoder I have acquired is a Bosch VIP X1 XF.
I do also have a Bosch VIP X1600 B with 4ch analogue module. Unfortunately I just have the circuit boards as it was dissembled for the e-waste bin.
The 1ch encoder has worked in bench testing to the recording device.

I know for a fact that the encoder can output an image but I'm unsure of the serial interface for PTZ controls.

By no means is this the best encoder, it is just one I have acquired.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here's an example of a single channel encoder from Hikvision.
Accepts composite video & audio, and converts to IP streaming protocol.
Make sure it has a serial interface with the correct protocol for the PTZ control wires (described as green).
That single channel HikVision encoder only has half duplex RS485. However; I'm guessing OP has made a mistake calling it RS232 as that isn't optimised for CCTV.
RS485 and RS422 are standards mostly used for CCTV because of the transmission length capabilities.

Then there is protocols within the transmission line specification.
E.g, my Bosch Autodome uses RS485 on PELCO-P protocol. Dahua, Hikvision, Bosch and other brands have their own protocols too.
I'm lucky that my analogue PTZ can accept PELCO or BOSCH protocols.

Could I please ask @Prinler to provide the PTZ's model for clarification on protocols accepted. Alternatively you can check the keyboard/joystick output connector label or device settings.

Prinler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Make sure it has a serial interface with the correct protocol for the PTZ control wires (described as green).
That single channel HikVision encoder only has half duplex RS485. However; I'm guessing OP has made a mistake calling it RS232 as that isn't optimised for CCTV.
RS485 and RS422 are standards mostly used for CCTV because of the transmission length capabilities.

Then there is protocols within the transmission line specification.
E.g, my Bosch Autodome uses RS485 on PELCO-P protocol. Dahua, Hikvision, Bosch and other brands have their own protocols too.
I'm lucky that my analogue PTZ can accept PELCO or BOSCH protocols.

Could I please ask @Prinler to provide the PTZ's model for clarification on protocols accepted. Alternatively you can check the keyboard/joystick output connector label or device settings.
Yes are correct it is NOT 232. I am trying to find the order paperwork. ITs been a few years. IT wasnt a huge brand name and it was one of the only cameras that would auto follow people. It worked ok but got a lot of bushes in the wind lol. IF its going to cost hundreds to get this going i may as well push him twords getting a new one as the tech is way better now.