Amcrest 5MP POE Security Camera System

Vansmak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
We recently moved into a new house and its now time to install a security camera system. Based on some limited research I'm leaning towards going with the Amcrest 5MP POE Security System:

I previously had a Sannce System that I purchased with limited knowledge (full disclosure, I'm not sure I have all that more knowledge now) and it worked for my needs. I landed on the Amcrest, because:

1. It's affordable
2. I have a Amcrest Video Doorbell (and like it)
3. I've read some good reviews and it appears to meet my needs

My goal is for a set it and forget type system that I can access remotely when needed. I will probably only end up using 3 of the 4 cameras in the kit, but I could see myself using the 4th down the road. Based on how my house is setup and where I want to mount the cameras: It seems the most logical place to store the NVR is in the garage and feed the data to my router via a powerline adapter (I put one in and tested it reliably to 80Mbs). I may setup Blue Iris or Frigate down the road to monitor and gain my AI features, but for now I just want something easy and reliable.

Here are my questions -

1. On paper this system seems to check most of the boxes for me, resolution is decent, it has starlight capabilities and should be able to be accessed remotely. Is there any negatives that I'm overlooking?
2. I see that Amcrest has a Series5 NVR, is there any big advantage to going this direction? I'm trying to keep costs down but I don't want to regret my initial purchase if it's something I should consider now?
3. I know the sensor size of these turret cameras is borderline for night time monitoring. But coming from the Sannce system, I feel like it should be an improvement. Is there another system I should at least consider? I'm convinced I need to avoid Reolink....lol

Appreciate any feedback! Thanks again this forum has been very helpful over the last couple weeks while researching!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

Generally a Kit system is compromise of too many key features and results in poor performance. While they're convenient , they lack too many key features for any serious video surveillance. 5MP may seem great, especially during the day, but at night they won't be very effective at all. There are a total of zero cameras in 5MP resolution that are good at night simply because there are no 5MP sensor of the correct physical size to produce an acceptable night time image.

The next problem is lens size, focal length. A wide field of view is great to see the whole scene, but when the rubber meets the road it is useless to identify who did what when it is most important, unless they were within fifteen feet or less of the camera.

The general recommendation here is to buy one varifocal camera and test each proposed location for a camera, both for the actual location and to find out what focal length is needed. It is also important to have a goal for the entire system, as well as for each camera, that cover more than "I want to see what's happening all around the house with one camera". A good system that produces good results is far more complicated than that which is why a kit never really can do an acceptable job.

Have a look in the Wiki in the blue bar at the top of the page. It is full of solid information that will assist you in building a system that actually produces good results.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind Starlight is just a marketing term and means nothing.

You are right, the MP/sensor ratio is not ideal and there is no 5MP camera on the market on the proper MP/sensor ratio.

Do you want to just observe and be able to tell the police what time something happened or actually be able to IDENTIFY?

I started with four 2.8mm cameras and I was like "I can place one on each corner of the house and see my whole property and the whole neighborhood." A newbie loves the wide angle "I can see the whole neighborhood" of the 2.8mm fixed wide angle lens. I LOVED IT WHEN I PUT IT UP. I could see everything that would be blocked looking out the windows.

It is easy to get lured in to thinking the wide angle "see the whole neighborhood" because you are watching it and you see a neighbor go by and you are like "Look at that I can tell that is Heather out walking." and "Yeah I can tell our neighbor 4 down just passed by". Or you watch back the video of you walking around and are like "yeah I can tell that is me".

Little do we realize how much WE can identify a known person just by hair style, clothing, walking pace, gait, etc.

Then one day the door checker comes by. Total stranger. Totally useless video other than what time the door checking happened. I was so furious my system let me down.

Then you realize that this wide-angle see the whole neighborhood comes at a cost and that cost is not being able to IDENTIFY who did it. These 2.8mm wide angle cameras are great overview cameras or to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet of the camera if the camera is installed less than 9 feet hight. At 40 feet out or a higher install you need a different camera.

And like most, I stuck these wide angle cameras on the 2nd story to be able to see even more, which then means any IDENTIFY distance is lost vertically. Someone needs to be within 10-13 feet to identify someone with a 2.8mm lens. A camera placed 16-20 feet up means the entire IDENTIFY distance is lost in the vertical direction. They could be one foot away horizontally, but at 20 feet high, you will only get a good shot at the top of the head...

So then we start adding more cameras and varifocal cameras so that we can optically zoom in to pinch points and other areas of interest to get the clean IDENTIFY captures of someone. While the varifocals are great at helping to identify at a distance, they come at a cost of a reduced field of view, just like the wide-angles are great at seeing a wide area, but they come at the expense of IDENTIFY at distance.

Check out this thread I made on the importance of focal length over MP:

ThomasCamFan

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You're asking the big question at a site with many serious security camera members. So consumer boxed systems are rarely (if ever) recommended.

But you stated this:
I previously had a Sannce System that I purchased with limited knowledge (full disclosure, I'm not sure I have all that more knowledge now) and it worked for my needs.
So I'm breaking from the mainstream advice. Given what I saw at the Sannce web store, I believe you will be very satisfied with that ~$400 Amcrest POE System.

I don't have experience with the Amcrest NVR but from looking at the user manual its interface is similar/same as the Dahua NVR running recent V4 firmware. Dahua makes the Amcrest gear, so they have similar camera and NVR firmware.

The Amcrest kit's IP5M-T1179EW cameras are good budget ($50) cameras. Remarkable images during the day but like all budget cameras they mostly disappoint in low light environments. That is to say, night time shots are limited to observation; perp identification will be impractical. But since you didn't complain about your Sannce system's cameras I think you'll be pleased with them.

If you decide to pull the trigger on the Amcrest kit then I have some recommendations.

1. Consider flashing the Cameras with Dahua firmware. This will enable IVS, which I feel is an important feature. Search the forum and you will find instructions on how to flash the IP5M-T1179EW with Dahua firmware.

2. Do not put the NVR in the garage, at least not permanently. Rather than that dusty/hot environment I suggest crawling in the attic to pull CAT5/6 from each camera to an indoor closet. Or if that is too much work then install a 4-port fanless POE switch in the garage that connects via CAT5/6 (not wireless) to your local LAN. This means your NVR's POE ports may go unused, but at least the NVR will be operating in a better environment.

3. If you have any camera locations that need better performance then simply upgrade the camera. The Amcrest NVR should be compatible with nearly any of the popular Dahua cameras discussed in this forum. Of course a good Dahua camera will cost you almost 50% of what you're paying for the entire Amcrest 8CH 4-camera system.

4. Amcrest may give you a coupon code to save $$ on your Amazon NVR Kit purchase if you sign up at the official Amcrest web site. I recall I got a 20% off coupon code, but that was two years ago. Bought a couple IP5M-T1179EW with it that now run Dahua firmware. :)

- Thomas

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 to all the above ^^^ and also this warning (sorry to be the guy that pees in the punch bowl):

It states "Includes 4 x 60ft Ethernet Cables."
Be advised that my experience on 2 occasions in last 3 years where a customer had purchased these Amcrest kits and the furnished cables are CCA (Copper Clad Aluminum). I advise strongly that if they are CCA, dod not use them, especially if providing POE.

You can tell if they feel pretty light compared to an equal length of pure copper cables.

You want solid (not stranded), pure copper conductor, CAT-5e or CAT-6. A jacket rated "CMR" (Riser) is appropriate for in walls, floors, crawl spaces and attics.

I'm not saying for sure that they are CCA, just that they very well could be based on my personal past experience. :idk:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have that NVR. it willl stream to Blue Iris. There is a firmware/shut off problem going on with that camera model.
Just get the NVR. I have some of those cams they are ok for my indooor locations. Havent tried them outside. Yeah you can get started with that. then you'll see that eventually you can add some of good cams we like on the forum. maybe just buy the NVR, and get some 5442 varifocals or some of the 2mp on the good sensor with audio.
IPC-T3241T-ZAS

Last edited:

Vansmak

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have that NVR. it willl stream to Blue Iris. There is a firmware/shut off problem going on with that camera model.
Just get the NVR. I have some of those cams they are ok for my indooor locations. Havent tried them outside. Yeah you can get started with that. then you'll see that eventually you can add some of good cams we like on the forum. maybe just buy the NVR, and get some 5442 varifocals or some of the 2mp on the good sensor with audio.
IPC-T3241T-ZAS

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone. Now you got me leaning towards getting a couple 5442's instead of the Amcrest Kit. So since I'm rethinking my entire setup, is there a better (affordable) NVR that I should look at or will the AmCrest NV4108E work?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Some people have the 5 series NVR's i think they have AI built in ( dont quote me) @bigredfish is a strong NVR user. I know the feature set is newer than the 4 series. either Amcrest or buy one from the Dahua guy here, @EMPIRETECANDY you can direct message him. he's in Hong Kong. He gets us the shit. :) The AMcrest is a slightly less featured Dahua NVR. ( dont quote me)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for all the great feedback everyone. Now you got me leaning towards getting a couple 5442's instead of the Amcrest Kit. So since I'm rethinking my entire setup, is there a better (affordable) NVR that I should look at or will the AmCrest NV4108E work?
Hi @Vansmak

iirc the Amcrest 4000 series NVR is the "lite" version .. I'd check if they have the Dahua OEM pro version if you're going with an NVR option.

Note, Amazon prime day is up soon .. and often Amcrest has a few deals then ..