Ambiguous statement in BI "Hardware accelerated decoding" section of Wiki

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage

Specifically sentence in red (below):

From wiki: *
Hardware accelerated decoding

If your CPU supports Intel® Quick Sync Video, then you can use hardware acceleration in Blue Iris to reduce CPU and energy usage significantly with any camera streaming H.264. If your Intel CPU is 6th-generation (such as i5-6500) or newer, then you can use hardware acceleration for H.265 streams as well since around mid-April 2020 (beginning Blue Iris 5.2.5 or so).

Open Blue Iris Settings, then on the Cameras tab, find Hardware accelerated decode (restart). If running Blue Iris newer than 5.2.5, you may choose "Intel®+VideoPostProc". Otherwise, "Intel®" will probably perform better. Restart Blue Iris for this change to take effect. If you are running Blue Iris as a service, you will need to restart the service, or just restart the entire computer.
End of clip from Wiki ***

On my system, in Blue Iris, "Intel" and "Intel+VPP" (VideoPostProc) are available as options (among others) for hardware acceleration.

The statement above, in red, is not clear (at least to me). The "Otherwise, Intel will probably perform better" is ambiguous. Will work better than Intel+VPP or better than nothing, or better than what?

Hardware acceleration seems to help, CPU typically runs 30-32 with Intel or Intel+VPP selected, instead of 39-42 with acceleration set to "no". Both readings are with BI console open. I always have the BI console open.

I don' see any difference in CPU usage between Intel and Intel+VPP.

Therefore does it matter which one I select/use?

Note: I restart the PC after changing the settings because I run BI as a service.

I record direct to disc.
PC is a Dell Optiplex 9020 with:
Intel i7-4790 CPU
Intel HD Graphics 4600

Thanks.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The statement above, in red, is not clear (at least to me). The "Otherwise, Intel will probably perform better" is ambiguous. Will work better than Intel+VPP or better than nothing, or better than what?
Better than the VPP option. In older versions of BI, the VPP option worked badly. Now, it is pretty much the same in my experience.

I don' see any difference in CPU usage between Intel and Intel+VPP.
Therefore does it matter which one I select/use?
I don't think it matters.