Amazon vs Jeep

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A whole 70 seconds out of the Jeep driver's life.....what a doofus.
In defense of the Amazon driver, where did the old fart in the Jeep expect him to park? On someone's lawn? On the sidewalk?
His anger almost got him in trouble when he hit the gas at the end...it was still in reverse. :confused:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Granted the Jeep driver is a Gigantus Rectum, but a minor defensive argument could be made that the Amazon driver could have initially stopped at the curb just a couple of lengths ahead.
True...but that big ol' boat would be blocking something anywhere along that stretch, like somebody's driveway.

And we see the smaller FedEx trucks out here in the boonies and packages are stacked inside on top of each other, clear up to the driver's seat; seems a big truck would be more suitable for out here and the smaller ones for the more urban and metro areas where things are closer together and more dense.

But frankly, I wonder about their logic anyway....before 2016 I got a delivery from a FedEx truck with orange & purple colors (Express). While I spoke with the driver another FedEx truck went up the road, one with purple & green colors (Ground). I joked with the driver and said something like one truck could have delivered mine and the neighbors and save some gas, etc. and he said "...would you believe our depots are next door to one another?"

Since 2016 they've used orange & purple for all their vehicles, airplanes, etc.

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Eh Amazon did fairly well imo. Amazon pulled as much to the side as they could but roads are only so wide here so you get used to it. UPS/Fedex drive the same trucks and drop as fast as Amazon did here. He probably gets mad at the city when they do the trash and recycling pick ups or the multiple school buses that pass by. Shouldnt be that aggressive after 30 seconds as the taxi drivers are 10x worse along with Walmart+.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
I use to do city delivery when I worked for Yellow Freight. We were also unpaid tree trimmers too.
So whith that in mind, in a 53 footer (trailer), been there, done that, and the SOB called in and complained!

HE cussed me, wanted me to back the big rig back about a block so he could pass! Also I had just dropped off
a weight set and gym assembly that the owner wanted me to break down the boxes and carry them through the house
back to his work-out room. I dropped all on the front porch pointing out the delivery instructions.

After suffering a tongue lashing from the irate driver, from the safety of my cab, I explained to him I was on over time,
paid by the hour now at the rate of $35 per hour, smiled took a drink of iced tea and turned my radio up. HE finally backed
up and let me through. I guess there was a benefit of working in a union

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
....or the multiple school buses that pass by. Shouldnt be that aggressive after 30 seconds ...
Yep, ya get behind a school bus is some rural areas where there's few roads for them to turn off onto and no places for you to pass where its safe and legal, it can be a long, slow trip that will test your patience. They're pretty punctual so I try to leave the house early if I need to go along their route to get where I'm going. :cool:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I use to do city delivery when I worked for Yellow Freight. We were also unpaid tree trimmers too.
So whith that in mind, in a 53 footer (trailer), been there, done that, and the SOB called in and complained!
Back in January a freight co. called to deliver a 185 lb. grille guard for my F-150. He said he was pulling a 53 footer. Knowing the narrow backroads here and no place for him to park on a blind curve, I told him I'd meet him at a local freight broker's parking lot (a close friend) just 100 feet from U.S. Hwy 278 that he was coming in on. It was only a 10 mile round trip for me, a lot safer/easier for both us; we cut the straps on the very well wrapped grille guard where it was strapped to the pallet and he helped me load it in the back of my F-150.

It's amazing how nice and accommodating folks can usually be when you try to meet them at least half-way. :)

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
And the Amazon guy pulled as far to the LEFT as he could but with a car parked at the curb and still blocking the street. I wonder what would have happened had a LEO, on a call, or a Paramedic vehicle had come down the street on a call. We're not talking about a 53 footer here, it's a lousy bread truck.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Amazon drivers here have the same mental deficit. There is plenty of room for them to pull to the curb here, and get out of the way, UPS drivers do it ALL OF THE time here, but the Amazon drivers park right in the middle of the street. They usually pick a spot where cars are parked on both sides of the street, so no one can get past.

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Valid points and this is just a single sidestreet thats .2 miles long so it isn't even that busy with traffic. This one is one of the better examples of Amazon drivers I've seen to date here as most of them are pretty shit.

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
If only you knew the pressures that are on those drivers to make the numbers, NONE of you would stand
for the B.S. they put their drivers through!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If only you knew the pressures that are on those drivers to make the numbers, NONE of you would stand
for the B.S. they put their drivers through!
You sign up for a job, suck it up and deal with it.
I have yet to see any Amazon driver actually hurrying from or to the truck, they take their sweet time.
UPS on the other hand, they run or at least jog.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I live in a residential neighborhood that usually has plenty of space for the trucks to park at the curbs, and they almost always do. ( All of the drivers that I have interacted with have been courteous and professional). But there are times during the day when people are trying to get from Grand Central Station on one end, and Penn Station on the other, or vice versa. There is an intersection not far, and lots of people use our residential street to avoid the traffic lights and an elementary school. It is those time when I wish that several delivery drivers WOULD park smack in the middle of the road, make their deliveries, and while they are at it, have a beverage with the deliveree. Keep all those [expletive] people as pissed as possible.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Our UPS driver will shoot the shit for 30 min if you let him. He usually delivers around 4-5pm. If it's a sub for the day, we usually get delivery by lunchtime. Our driver is a people person, well liked, and not rushed at all. I think it really depends on the area you live in. For me, it's one of the reasons we chose a VERY rural part of middle-TN.