Amazing night performance

Prinler

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello everyone! New year a new project.
Have someone sneaking into my 5 acer lot and stealing tools and oddly... wood.. I think its mostly in the dead of night. I'd also like the motorized lens. I was looking at the IPC-HFW8232E-Z but Andy says those are old news and I'd be better off with IPC-HFW5241E-ZE. Would you guys agree? Its half the price so feels to good to be true.

Prinler

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with either of those cameras, but if Andy understands the situation (how far the subjects might be from the camera, etc) I would trust his recommendation.

Just note that while that camera has a "zoom lens" it is not a PTZ camera. You can change the zoom feature by logging onto the camera's IP administrative webpage, but it is designed to be set once for the install location and then not changed. You won't have pan control (left, right, up, down) so zooming in without physically changing the camera's position isn't very helpful - which is why it is designed to be set once and left alone. You will not be able to control the zoom from BI or a NVR system either - only the camera's webpage.

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
Not necessarily true. I can control the "zoom" on my IPC-HDW5231R-ZE's from my Synology Surveillance Station.

The 5231 is not a PTZ camera. You wont be zooming this on a daily basis. You set it, and forget it once you find the appropriate focal length.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Hello everyone! New year a new project.
Have someone sneaking into my 5 acer lot and stealing tools and oddly... wood.. I think its mostly in the dead of night. I'd also like the motorized lens. I was looking at the IPC-HFW8232E-Z but Andy says those are old news and I'd be better off with IPC-HFW5241E-ZE. Would you guys agree? Its half the price so feels to good to be true.

Prinler
Actually you will want to look at the 5442 series. It is superior nighttime to the 5241 series.