Am I sending to CHINA??? How do i check

DomEx

n3wb
Reaction score
I would like to know if there is an easy way to use netstat or wireshark or other command line utility. To check the outgoing connections form my IP cam

I want to block all internet broadcasts. Especially if I am sending to china without my knowledge.

I only ever check my cam through teamviewer anyway.. if not at home

I am not fully conversant with wireshark and would prefer a command line option but being unable to log in to the cameras command line i cant run netstat on it like i can for:cmd prompt on pc

I have noticed a 8 mbps drop in my home broadband recently and am concerned the cam be sending elsewhere

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In your router, block the cams IP address from having internet access.
Be sure UPNP is turned off in the camera, and in your router.
You should be able to see what outgoing connections are being made in your router log,

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
If it's routed through your pc you can also use the Command Prompt (run as administrator) to show you current PC connections and which programs are using them.

"netstat -a" is probably the most useful command here as it shows the connection and the process using it.

"netstat -b" will produce a full list of connections but it may be extensive and consist of IP's you'll have to look up.

smoothie

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you use Teamviewer to see the camera feeds remotely then one way to isolate the cameras is set their Default Gateway incorrectly, to any other IP than you Default Gateway. Without the Default Gateway the camera cannot speak to anything outside of your local subnet. So if your private local subnet is 192.168.1.x and your router/firewall is on 192.168.1.1 for example. Normally you would set 192.168.1.1 as the Default Gateway. Instead set it to 192.168.1.253 or whatever 4th octet you like as long as it isn't 192.168.1.1

This is what I do with my cameras. I have a PC running Blue Iris so I use UI3 via a web browser on my mobile device to access the Blue Iris UI3 via a VPN when I am away. My cameras cannot talk to anything outside my home network but they need only talk to the Blue Iris PC. The Blue Iris PC has normal internet access like an PC.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If it's routed through your pc you can also use the Command Prompt (run as administrator) to show you current PC connections and which programs are using them.

"netstat -a" is probably the most useful command here as it shows the connection and the process using it.

"netstat -b" will produce a full list of connections but it may be extensive and consist of IP's you'll have to look up.
This stuff is also in GUI format in the "Resource Monitor" program that is built-in to Windows. (Task Manager > Performance > Open Resource Monitor)

58chev

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
In your router, block the cams IP address from having internet access.
Be sure UPNP is turned off in the camera, and in your router.
You should be able to see what outgoing connections are being made in your router log,
On my ASUS router running ASUSWRT Merlin, I turned on Parental Controls and blocked the MAC of the Cameras directly connected to the NVR. The router did not see 192.168.254.x addresses. Therefore will not block access.

I have experimented and put one camera on my PoE switch and gave it 192.168.1.x and added it to Parental Controls and all access is blocked.

Have a line in my Firewall startup script to allow only that camera IP to send out emails to an SMTP Server.
In the client list you can see that my cams with IP 254.x do not show up.
The very bottom shows the camera on 1.x being blocked.
deny-cam.jpg

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
you dont have to waste time redacting your local lan ip addresses..there is absolutely nothing anyone can do with them.