Alternative software for LTS NVR?

neek

n3wb
Reaction score
For several years I used Blue Iris with a bunch of Digital Watchdog cameras. The cameras have been dying one at a time, so a few months ago, I had an installer setup a new system with LTS cameras and an LTS NVR.

In short, their software appears to leave a lot to be desired. I've really struggled to get the sensitivity right, so that I can see person-sized movement, without seeing e.g. tiny bugs flying in front of the IR emitter. I see lots of nicely configured home setups, and I'm looking for any suggestions of software that I should work with, or things I should read up on, to try to get my system better dialed in. I'd be very happy to find something that could run on the NVR hardware I bought from LTS (a 16-port VSN7216). I'm willing to move back to Blue Iris, though honestly I never got it configured in a way that caught real movement without lots of false positives, either.

Suggestions? Thank you!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is not alternative software to put on an NVR. It runs its own firmware created by/for the manufacturer and you cannot flash it with something else (well maybe another OEM firmware of same brand but materially it will basically be the same).

BI now has AI in it that can knock out a lot of false triggers.

neek

n3wb
Reaction score
Is the state-of-the-art these days to run a PoE switch for the cameras and a somewhat normal PC with BlueIris? I know ipcamtalk favors BI but I never found it to be amazing, though maybe I didn't configure it well.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Now with substreams you don't need a powerful unit like was needed before.

I used NVRs for over 10 years and within 10 minutes of trying BI I was kicking myself I didn't try it sooner. It is better than any NVR I have ever used.

I suspect your issues were misconfigurations. There are way more options to knock out false triggers and incorporate AI in BI than any NVR.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is the state-of-the-art these days to run a PoE switch for the cameras and a somewhat normal PC with BlueIris? I know ipcamtalk favors BI but I never found it to be amazing, though maybe I didn't configure it well.
You didnt configure it well. There are over 100 vms other than blue iris. Many costing over $80 - 200 per camera license. Blue iris is fantastic. If you want a pretty interface look elsewhere and be ready to open your wallet.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is the fabulous Playback menu/motion time line from my Amcrest of visitors today.
See all the interesting motion previews? little yellow stripes.
Heres the motion timeline playback feature of visitors today in BI.

1678676952322.png
1678677160682.png

neek

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok I'll set mine up again and see how well I can get it to work. Thanks. Do people ever run it in a virtual machine, or physical hardware only?