ALRP Without subscription/internet connection

cd36

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Hey,

If I want to do ALPR without a subscription or rely on an Internet connection, is the only way to do that with an NVR that supports ANPR?

I thought it could be done with Blue Iris, but I see the only ALPR support Blue Iris has is using Plate Recognizer, which still seems to upload the images to their server for processing? And then you are limited to 2,500 requests per month on the free tier.

Looking for options for all local processing besides using an NVR5XXX series, with a camera that supports ANPR as well, but maybe that is my only option? Thanks!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can go to github and there are hundreds of options out there. Most don't work. Some build on a pay service. Some are country dependent. I think there is still a free OpenALPR version out there somewhere, but I do not think it is current, but it might fit your needs.

I am not aware of anyone here that has had success with the free, local, trained AI to do plates, so we rely on it being native to the camera/NVR or a 3rd party.

You could always train one yourself!

cd36

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ha, I wish I had that time!

This is kind of what I figured, just I thought it NVR's were capable of doing the processing locally, that there would maybe be a service that could do it as well. Unfortunately I'm probably stuck with the Cam/NVR to do the processing.

Blue Iris + Plate Recognizer looks decent, but it is a big jump up to go from 2,500/month (Free) to 50,000/month for $50.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
While a cloud-based subscription service, OpenALPR's "Rekor Scout" tier is $5 a month per camera.