all of a sudden BI is using too much cpu and it says too much power

Reaction score
I can't even get the desktop app to open all the way never mind open it and contact support. i locks up the router, the other pc that uses UI3, and even the POE switch. this started a week ago and is getting worse. I should have enough power with a 1350 watt corsair power supply. what gives

IMG_1107.JPEGIMG_1113.JPEGIMG_1114.JPEG

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First, get the cameras off the router.

At a minimum, connect all cameras and the BI computer to the same switch (or daisy chain) and then one cable from there to the router.

Turn off Hardware Acceleration.

Rollback a few versions to a stable BI version. I run 5.4.6.3

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Have you recently updated BI or maybe a Windows update?

It just seems like something else is going on if your router is locking up too.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Then I would suggest rollback to an older version and see if it stabilizes the system. You have quite a few cameras and it seems HA goes wonky for some folks in these later updates.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd try shutting off HA, if you're using it. With sub streams it isn't as critical, by far, in terms of CPU utilization.

Reaction score
I tried finding the HA to disable it but I can't find it, I guess I better roll back BI to an earlier version as it crashes even if I try to check out a clip on the other desktop using Ui3

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
HA is in two places - a global setting under BI settings under camera and then you can set it individually with each camera setting. Just set them all to none.

Reaction score
tried that and it locked up on the first camera I changed and that camera went blank so I rolled back to the last stable version. it is hitting hard on the memory and that power says it is hitting extremely hard on it I wonder what gives

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Looking at the monitor shot you posted, my guess is that something other than BI is giving you your problem. Memory usage is too high and network utilization is 0%. By my count you have 18 cameras an I'd expect to see network utilization around 100Mb/ps or more, say 10% for a gig capable NIC. The same is true for disk utilization unless you're not recording 24/7. Power usage being "very high" seems a little relative, to me, since the CPU is sitting under 5% utilization.

Reaction score
after reverting to an older version I tried disabling a few cameras to see if that made a difference in power used, which when it turns bright red seems to be a key to locking up BI,
that made no difference so I disconnected from the network, stopped BI server did a cold shutdown including killing the ups and left it off for 5 minutes and then completely shutdown everything else, after that I booted into the BI PC and still had that power use. I found 7 cameras that said they were recording even with out the network on line.
so I went to stop them from recording and I was able to stop 5 of them but 2 cameras would not let me stop the recording, nor could I delete them. I then tried deleting them from their file location after stopping them in taskmaster, still no go . I feel like I am in that movie groundhog day

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
That first picture seems to indicate a much larger issue than just BI. Perhaps a graphics issue. Are you running onboard graphics, or do you have a dedicated graphics card?

Reaction score
That first picture seems to indicate a much larger issue than just BI. Perhaps a graphics issue. Are you running onboard graphics, or do you have a dedicated graphics card?
I am using the EVGA 1080ti graphic card in my signature EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

here is a little of what I have done to try and diagnose the issue. I rolled back to the last safe update. that made it work but I now do not get any alerts after dark. so I stopped the server and the deep stack service, reboot and no change. than while looking at the clips I noticed I would have 1 to 4 video's recording on some cameras, so I tried to delete them all, that did not work, than I tired stopping the recording and that did not work so disconnected the network, stopped bi after stopping deepstack and starting as a service cold rebooted and they were still recording and I am unable to stop them.

now about my system bi is on a 10G Purple drive (x) backing up old videos to a 4tb purple (S) with a C drive 2 tb SSD and and 1TB SSD. back in june an update installed BI folders in the C. M and S drive with very little in them, but the system was running ok till the above started happening.

so is those 5 cameras that I can't stop the recording causing the issues or is it something else

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I have a few cameras that do that as well on the latest stable update, as well as the most recent ones. I am on 5.4.6.3 as that is the last one that didn't cause me issues.