Aiphone Intercom question

cage123au

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi guys, I currently have installed a Aiphone JF-DVF Door Station and a JB-2MD Master Indoor Station. The current intercom is old, and working sporadically. So, I intend to replace it with a Aiphone JOS-1FW Video Intercom Flush Mount Vandal Door Station Kit.

The current wiring looks fine, but when I read the literature of the unit I intend to replace it with, it states for the Master Station Power Supply which is an 18Volt DC that "Without Grounding, the stations may not work properly" Is this necessary, the current wiring on the JB-2MD is two wire solid cire, but has not ground terminal. See Image of current.

So the question is this, if I hookup the new Intercom without using a ground, wil it work. If I need to use a ground, how would that also work.

Just need a little guideance.

Thansk

Screen Shot 2022-04-02 at 10.53.07 am.pngScreen Shot 2022-04-02 at 10.55.18 am.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, I waited as long as I could, mainly because I don't have or use any of that equipment, BUT.....

It seems to me the earth ground was in place to help shield the possibly high-impedance inputs from picking up EMI or AC hum from adjacent, higher voltage parallel lines.
That earth ground not being in place should not keep the intercom from working, IMO....just possibly not as quiet as it could be if the right conditions exist to produce interference .

I don't see a place or terminal on the new plastic-cased device for a earth ground anyway. Give a run and see how it sounds.

cage123au

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, I waited as long as I could, mainly because I don't have or use any of that equipment, BUT.....

It seems to me the earth ground was in place to help shield the possibly high-impedance inputs from picking up EMI or AC hum from adjacent, higher voltage parallel lines.
That earth ground not being in place should not keep the intercom from working, IMO....just possibly not as quiet as it could be if the right conditions exist to produce interference .

I don't see a place or terminal on the new plastic-cased device for a earth ground anyway. Give a run and see how it sounds.
Thank you for the reply, that case is the old one, the new one arrives this week. I'll give it a good look over and give it a try as suggested. It just seemed odd to me that the power supply has a + and - terminal, plus a ground terminal as does the Master Screen from what I can tell. SO, the real question for me is if you run a two cable for + and - how does the ground hookup work. I maybe just over thinking it and it is all explained in the literature. Was just trying to get ahead of it.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
SO, the real question for me is if you run a two cable for + and - how does the ground hookup work.
If no immediate, local grounded conductor from power panel (bare or green in U.S. or green/yellow in UK & AU) or buried metal water pipe (not gas), consider driving a 6 ft. ground rod and bonding to that with appropriate ground clamp. A copper clad steel rod is best but not cheap, galvanized steel is OK but a lot cheaper. Check your local electrical codes to confirm, as I'm not sure where you're at (AU ?).

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Part of your confusion is: the JB-2MD is an intercom station, not a power supply. Only the power supply of the system requires grounding, which is why there is no additional grounding lug on the intercom station you are about to replace. Follow the local electric code of the town/country as @TonyR suggested to establish an earth ground for the power supply as noted in the Aiphone documentation

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's not clear from the picture, but it's possible they intend you to use shielded cable which would reduce interference. They appear to have used twisted pair of some sort and it's a but curious they way the hooked it up.

cage123au

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, I have it all up and running, no issues or interference. I used the existing wires, which was a twin core stranded. The actual cable from Master Station to Door was a Cat 5e cable. That was already there and in use. The previous installer had used brown/brown white for one connector A2, and used Blue/Blue white for the A1 terminal. I just ended up mimicking the original install. Personally, I would have liked to run a new Cat 6 cable and use IP CCTV camera. But that project is for another day. Biggest problem for me is that the Door Station is mounted into a larger stanless Steel plate, so I would have to work out what to do with that.