Advice Requested: Garage Camera Placement

JTSpeed

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a quick question I'd like to ask this forum. I have an odd shaped garage (See attached rough) that I'm trying to determine the best options for camera placement inside the garage. There will be a camera outside the garage just to the left of the garage door (when looking at the picture). However, with the odd L-shape an two entry doors from the garage I'm struggle with the best way to monitor the interior. Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Garage Camera Options.jpg

Reaction score
Option 2: Turret/Bullet should be placed to the left corner, not right corner if your viewing angle is to cover stairs to basement.
Option 2: turret/bullet should be bottom right corner, not top right corner, to catch entry to house.
Or.. boobie double cam in place of the option1: PTZ location.
I personally like dedicated cameras in the corners as Option2: turret/Bullet if placed to the left will also capture portions of the garage door itself (always good to see if opened or closed)

JTSpeed

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I didn't think of moving the two fixed cameras. I was stuck on both having direct line of sight to a face when approaching that entry point. So in essence the top left position will capture face traffic into the garage, both to the house entry and stairs, while the bottom right covers the opposite? Would the top left camera be able to see faces from that far if they are backlit with the garage door open? My main concern is if the garage door is left open and someone walks in and tries to gain entry to the house. In your proposed scenario, the outdoor camera and the indoor left both have a shot at capturing the face, while the bottom right gives extra coverage and a second angle?

Thanks again for the quick response and input! I like the coverage to the two cameras better than my original thought.

Reaction score
Good points about your original locations pointing towards garage door to capture faces.
Hmmm...
If the job of these 2 cameras are for facial ID, then you are correct with your original placements. I have 2 camera's ( 2 x 8MP) dead center top & bottom facing each other more so for my wood working shop recordings as primary, secondary would be to see what someone is doing in my garage. My primary facial ID camera's are outside.
I mean..if someone is already inside your house/garage... it's now your home alarm system's turn, not facial ID camera's.
Now that I understand what you are trying to accomplish and re-looking at your map, I would give a thumbs up for your original locations pointing towards the garage door. You will get full coverage of inside garage and get facial ID's. Your stairwell arrow confused me as I thought that was your main viewing angle :) However, the stairwell cam I would put more on between the corner in the center as you would be pointing directly at garage door without the side wall backsplash. Where you have it now, you will have to angle the camera outwards away from wall to avoid IR splash on wall for night stuff.

Last edited:

JTSpeed

n3wb
Reaction score
My turn for a hmmm... :) So it's really a compromise. Some variation of the my original option 2 for best facial recognition if garage door is closed or it's night-time. Or Holbs recommendation for best coverage overall and rely on the camera on the outside corner of the garage for facial recognition. Sounds like either way I should relay on the outdoor camera to capture the face if I want consistency. I guess I can just string some long ethernet and test a few locations out. Consensus seems to be two cameras over the PTZ regardless so that helps narrow it down. Appreciate the thoughts!

JTSpeed

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, my Achilles heel is technology and end up jumping in too fast. I just started with 6 external cameras and feel like a junkie now and need to add more :). I think the best bet is your approach, get one camera and test it in various locations.

Thanks again!