Adding an ONVIF/IVS camera to Blue Iris

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My first ONVIF/IVS camera and what a learning curve it has been.

Most tutorials are for configuring camera is for a NVR and therefore confusing to me a BI user. Pieces/parts found through the forums were difficult to find and rather dated. In hopes of simplifying the process for other newbies here are the Blue Iris definitions which got my T5442TM up and running.

Blue Iris

1658885278648.png

Add camera to Blue Iris
  • enter IP address (and optional port as defined on camera)
  • enter user
  • enter password
  • update Discovery/ONVIF port to either 80 (camera default) or your custom port number
  • click Find/inspect
The "magic" was getting the initial definition correctly and letting the Find/inspect do its camera detection. Various cameras may have different auto defined entries. Other key items are:
  • ensure &proto=Onvif is included on stream profile definition
  • add sub-stream (if desired)
  • enable Get ONVIF trigger Events
1658885506947.png

Note: If after a BI upgrade the ONVIF camera misbehaves, you may want to re-run the Find/inspect.

enable Camera’s digital input or motion alarm

1658885660616.png

As configured above, the camera initiates all triggers. You may also enable Motion sensor if you also want to enable Blue Iris triggers.

ensure DIO, ONVIF, and Extern are checked

1658953529456.png

Additional camera settings/modifications can be made to customize the camera to your needs; however, do not remove the settings identified above. Blue Iris should now be accepting triggers from the ONVIF camera.

Checkpoint...
Open Blue Iris Event Log.
If Events: subscription 00002efd is found and increasing every few seconds, ONVIF is not configured properly; username, password, camera's ONVIF service not enabled, etc.

Attachments

Last edited:

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks so much for this. I have a Dahua camera since last fall that I had used only for testing purposes, without setting up the IVS. Just yesterday, I installed it ”permanently” and was having difficulty getting the ONVIF trigger to fire in BI. I picked up my iPad and searched ipcamtalk and found your post which was then 1 minute old! It was exactly what I needed. If I was so inclined, I’d think it was divine intervention. But I really don’t think He expands any efforts on surveillance camera motion detection issues.

Thanks again for a timely and concise post.