ACTi Camera Quality Feedback

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am just about ready to purchase one ACTi B96 IP PZT camera and then I thought I better come on here and see if I can get some feedback, suggestions from the experts here since I know very little about this camera or manufacturer and for the price, well, best get some feedback first because this little fella isn't good. So, I am going to ask all you guru's to give me your thoughts on it. Especially if you have used ACTi products before. Some of the things you can give me are:

Product quality, including lens, motors, IP66 and IK10 ratings and how their products stand up to usage.
Warranty and Support
Features vs Cost
Good vs bad Experiences

And basically anything else you can think of, including other products that are similar that you think might be better or cost less (for example, the Dahua DH-SD6C320S-HN). I appreciate it guys!

I found the ACTi B96 for $979.95 ($1007.46 with shipping at all that). I can get the Dahua DH-SD6C320S-HN for $899, but it's a larger unit, thought I don't mind if it's worth it.

I am looking for an external unit that can withstand ice and inclement weather and then the hots of summer.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That is a nice chunk of change for a ptz. First things first do you really need a ptz? What is it going to be used for?
Note the the B96 does not have IR led's, you would need to power provide your own IR or other light to use it at night.
I have never used acti but they are supposed to have good support and good vms software... i was never impress with the video quality posted of the cameras and their 10mp cameras are a total joke....terrible image...
I believe users @Razer and @bp2008 have both installed acti's so they may have more to add.

Last edited by a moderator:

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I thought the B96 supported IR? Bah, If it see's IR then I am OK, I use IR Illuminators all over the yard so supplying light to it wouldn't be to bad, but that kind of bugs me that it doesn't have it's own IR illuminators for long distances. I am looking for one good PZT to get 360 coverage of my yards (front and back). All the other cameras are fixed, but having a PZT is nice. I didn't think I would want one until I got an older wireless Foscam and now I use that PZT all the time. Allows me to look around remotely.

And the Camera Critic has a good point. The 5Mp sensor on the ACTI isn't very good and the Dahua has a tilt up feature, so I guess that solves that. I think I will get the Dahua DH-SD6C320S-HN. It's larger, but has IR illuminators, tilt up, 30x optical zoom and some other nice features.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are set on ptz, I would get a dahua with the IR..

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have installed a ton of ACTi cameras, more than a few hundred anyway. Usually bullets, but I have installed at least 10 different models, maybe more, and while they are okay I have now moved to Hikvision cameras and the quality is much better than my ACTi's can do. I have 9 ACTi 3mp bullets outside my house now, and one KCM5611 and while they do the job my Hikvision installs look better both night and day.

I have not used newer Dahua cameras, but from all reports they do very good and I've seen some great shots from those cameras here on the forum. I have used older Dahua equipment and was not impressed, but that was a long time ago and I'm sure they are fine now as they have quite a good following. I chose Hik and try to standardize whenever possible so I'm going to stick with them for now. As of the 31st my official camera count was 991 cameras in service and working! All fun and games until it becomes work lol.

I have a few Hik PTZ cameras that I just started using as it is a rare use case for me to need a PTZ. I have several locations under construction (not me but my employer) and I put in a couple of bullets and a PTZ for our construction guys to watch over the sites. This has been an amazing help and I now have three portable DVR/Camera systems that get installed in a box beside our temp power pole as soon as ground breaks and the construction guys love, love the PTZ. I use the 2mp Hik with IR that I got from @milkisbad on this forum. The PTZIP772X20IR I think is his model, which is the Hik DS-2DE7184-A I believe. I have also have another one, the DS-2DE5184-A which does not have IR and it actually works well because of the IR the two bullets are putting out that are near it in my uses. Overall I like the IR version better though and it is worth it. It is being froze to death this week, had 8+ inches of snow and -6 temps and crazy wind chill and still spins and reacts perfectly.

I was checking footage the other night and on my one bullet it looked like a spotlight was being shown out on the property, I was confused and checked the PTZ footage and it was zoomed in like 18x and had a nice shot in a property with nothing but dirt and concrete and no lights. My "spotlight" was the IR from where the PTZ was zoomed in. Apparently the IR must have extra lights for when it is zoomed in like that? Never noticed it before, but it is not usually left zoomed in tight overnight either. Was pretty cool to see actually.

For my money, I'd go with Dahua or Hikvision before ACTi at this time. Better prices, for me much better reliability, and a much better image overall at much lower bandwidth. Any questions feel free to ask!

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Oh and for specifics on my ACTi thoughts on reliability?

Not good, have major issues with focus creep even on fixed focus models. Sensors going bad in cameras, colors look odd when they go and do not get the full color spectrum, kind of like a stuck IR filter but it is not stuck. Leakage of water, I have no clue looking later how it is getting in but it does. This applies to both bullets and boxes like the KCM5611 series. Warranty is hit and miss. I have sent back 40ish cameras and maybe half they covered. Some power surge units they would repair, others would cost $100 or more. I have had issues with overheating hemispheric cameras that I sent back and the put a whole new design of case on it and an adapter plate to keep it from being mounted flush with the wall. Apparently they knew of the issue as it was sent back with no comments or questions but with a redesign/refurb on the camera. Firmware can be odd, and they have released a few stinkers that caused issues and I had to roll back for big problems. They knew about it, but it took almost 4 months for the update to fix the issues to appear.

They are sure not the worst, but I will not recommend them any longer after my issues. I'll not bash them as they work OK, but too many issues overall for me. I know I see a lot of issues due to my large number of cameras, but still I have sent more ACTi back than ANY other IP camera brand so far.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks @Razer..really great info here.

Overcon

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Razer, I think I am going to go with the Dahua. I have had good luck with them, other than firmware support (not knowing if the unit I purchased is China or European until I test a firmware install) but that might be because of where I have gotten the ones in the past. When I started getting the cameras for my house I purchased a lot on EBAY and different manufacturers to compare them. So far HIKVISION and DAHUA are by far the best. i thought the ACTi might be good because so many people use them, but the more I hear the more I am not too interested and will stick with ones I have had good luck with.

Like I said, the main reason I was looking at the ACTI was size and the 5MP, but now, forget it. I'll go with the larger 10lbs Dahua and get the 30x optical focus, heater and the like. I'll just have to find a nice place to mount it so I can catch all locations of the house. Might do it on the east side of the houses roof, that gives me the best coverage of all sides.

i appreciate you cementing my thoughts on the ACTi and the two.