Accessing NVR remotely

jongo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, newbie here with a basic question.

I'm going to buy a Dahua / Hikvision kit with 4 cameras + NVR and seek some expert knowledge about connections.

The camera will be under the eaves of a 2-story house and POE cables will run into the loft where the NVR will be (the loft has mains power).

The problem is that it would be very difficult to run a network cable down from the NVR in the loft to the house router which is on the ground floor and for that reason I'd like to use wifi to access images on the NVR when required. Is it simply a case of plugging a $10 USB wifi dongle from ebay into the NVR to connect NVR onto the house wifi network or do I need something more complex and are there any other potential problems I've not thought of?

Would a Powerline adaptor be a better solution, and would it work as the NVR in the loft would be powered from the lighting circuit but the main house wifi router would be on a ground floor ring (though they are both on the same phase and consumer unit)

Can the NVR typically be programmed over the wifi connection?

thanks.

Last edited:

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use the above all the time for scenarios like this. I would recommend getting the newer WiFi 6 version though, especially if you’re going to have a lot of high res, high rate cams. But you’ll need a WiFi 6 router too.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yep.
And I know that some will discourage this due to streaming through the router, I use SmartPSS on a desktop on the network to monitor the cameras. As it uses the substreams (unless you enlarge a specific camera window) I was able to monitor 15-25 cameras with little or no effect on the network.