A reason to add one more camera

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
I already have 7 cameras but this just happened in our neighborhood. I have pondered getting a cam for LPR but when I saw this at a neighbor's house I ordered a cam for LPR from Andy. When I started out I could never have imagined having 8 cameras. These bastards were really determined to break in this door:

Reaction score
Interesting how the door never broke open. The entire wall caved. Did they get anything or did they run when she screamed? She should have been screaming and be ready to shoot once the wall caved in.

Also notice, caps, masks, and gloves. The crappy Ring cam is so blurry on any movement.

Reaction score
We have these for our man doors:

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score

That looks interesting.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't know your laws but I would have thought that as soon as it became apparent it wasn't law enforcement and they were in the act of kicking the door in, it became a home invasion and defendable. Subject to lawful authority to do so, I would have shot the guy in red through the glass panel, not waited for the door to actually cave.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
It’s dicey. Castle Doctrine would probably cover you in this particular case, but I’d advise waiting until the door gives way and he’s got 1 foot inside to be safe.

* Note I am referring to Florida. Be sure and know your state laws.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't know your laws but I would have thought that as soon as it became apparent it wasn't law enforcement and they were in the act of kicking the door in, it became a home invasion and defendable. Subject to lawful authority to do so, I would have shot the guy in red through the glass panel, not waited for the door to actually cave.
In our state, Nevada, home invasion requires forcible entry. Until they enter it is a property crime. Once they enter, then both my wife and I will shoot to stop the threat.

Reaction score
That would not help in this case. The lock never failed, the jamb never failed. The whole door/wall unit came down.

Shooting someone through an exterior door is never a good idea. You can't get a good sight picture, can't see what is behind them, and you might miss.

Back in the 90's, a guy that I worked with shot a guy through his door and killed him. There had been numerous kick-door home invasions in the area for weeks. This guy and his friend were drunk and thought someone was after them and started pounding on his front door. When he went to the door, the guys had hid as the car they were trying to avoid came by. One of them then hopped the fence and went to the back yard and banged on the back door. My friend shot him through the door thinking he was trying to get in. His wife had already called the police. You can imagine the confusion, being woken up, pounding at the front door, catching a glimpse of some guy hopping the fence to your backyard, banging on the back door. While he was never charged with a crime, he had large legal bills, media attention, and was then sued by the guy's family.

gwminor48

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah that can be bad, being legally in the right shooting someone and then the family files a civil suit and you spend all your money on lawyers. So here I am adding a cam for LPR and then the car might have been stolen so license plates may not be as helpful as hoped for, but I gotta try.

Reaction score
g-shock alarms on the door might of helped set off out door lights/siren. I believe my Schlage Connect smart door has g-shock sensor (kicking of door, sensor). I have not yet integrated into Home Assistant yet but when I do, it will set off alarms or notifications or my wifi sprinkler system (one zone will be directed at front door), etc.
Wish it would automatically fly my DJI drone to follow or buzz around...that would be cool :)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
This is another example of why I like perimeter alarms. I would have known they were there when they hit the driveway or any of a number of possible entry points. I like the idea of getting the most prep time as possible, hell I may even have time to put on my EarPro.

Reaction score
I purchased 4 Bosch PIR's for inside of the house to hook up to my DSC alarm system. I did purchase a single outdoor Bosch PIR, have yet to actually install it. Keeping track of false alarms for inside PIR's and other alarm stuff before hooking up external alarm notifications. The outdoor PIR has a red LED, unlike the interior PIR's which have a blue LED. Should hook it up soon and put outside to see how effective it is. Dang thing was like $90. 3 times more spendier than the inside ones. I will say this: the Bosch PIR blue LED ones have had 0 false alarms in nearly 3 months. Impressive.