A good, free mail server to send BI notifications from?

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use google and Yahoo email. Over the years I've set up BI to alert me via email on Yahoo and Gmail but occasionally both email services seems to 'forget' that I've turned on the "use less secure apps". It works for while then I start getting the message indicating Gmail has stopped a sign-in attempt (yet again). I'm tired of going in and fixing them. I don't want to use PUSH or SMS for the type of notifications I've set up, just email.
Excluding Gmail/Yahoo, does anyone know of a free mail server that allows for less secure apps signin so I don't have to continually futz with this every so often?

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What about your ISP? Can you not simply use that account? I ask in question form as I don't use my ISP for email, haven't for years ,but I know I do have an email account with my ISP. Not free, but it shouldn't cost you anymore, if that makes sense.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use spectrum. Their mail interface is junky and their email service, IMO, is questionable in regard to reliability. Prefer not to use them.

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If they have an auto-forward feature, enable that. Or, at you Google/Yahoo account have them retrieve emails from your ISP email account. For Gmail, I know that is doable.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Like I said, not reliable. I've tested spectrums mail forward in the past... sometimes it forwards mail quickly, other times it's minutes. I'm after something that doesn't require 2 mail services. One that just works.

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
try microsoft
hotmail
outlook live
whatever they call it now.
View attachment 125222
I guess I should rephrase my original post to specify that if anyone is reliably using a free public email service for BI notifications that is reliable and just works, that is what I'm asking. I know of many services but I'm hoping to skip the line of testing each one over weeks or months if someone already can tell me (from personal experience) what works well for them.

TechieTech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You use it for BI alerts? It allows "less secure apps" usage?
I use it for server status updates sent to my phone over email to carrier SMS, not for all alerts since I have the BI app on my phone for push notifications and remote access. But it works just fine with BI.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
my outlook mail setup in BI has been going for at least a year. Reliably. havent had to enable less secure apps on any devices. Outlook is the Sender....over to Gmail as the receiver. So far have been able to skirt the "less secure apps" obfuscated bullshit of gmail as the outbound sender.

VideoDad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I use google and Yahoo email. Over the years I've set up BI to alert me via email on Yahoo and Gmail but occasionally both email services seems to 'forget' that I've turned on the "use less secure apps". It works for while then I start getting the message indicating Gmail has stopped a sign-in attempt (yet again). I'm tired of going in and fixing them. I don't want to use PUSH or SMS for the type of notifications I've set up, just email.
Excluding Gmail/Yahoo, does anyone know of a free mail server that allows for less secure apps signin so I don't have to continually futz with this every so often?
Gmail and Yahoo are probably just trying to help you improve your security on your accounts. To that end, they are trying to eliminate the "use less secure apps" feature and trying to encourage everyone to go to two-factor authentication (2FA). When you have 2FA enabled, then "use less secure apps" is no longer an option. On the surface that seems to make it harder for applications (like Blue Iris) to connect using SMTP. But all you need to do is to go into your security settings for Gmail (or I assume Yahoo) and generate an Application password. Set-up BI email server settings as normal, but instead of using your standard password, copy/paste the application generated password. From then on, you don't have to worry about them removing your access.

Last edited:

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Gmail and Yahoo are probably just trying to help you improve your security on your accounts. To that end, they are trying to eliminate the "use less secure apps" feature and trying to encourage everyone to go to two-factor authentication (2FA). When you have 2FA enabled, then "use less secure apps" is no longer an option. On the surface that seems to make it harder for applications (like Blue Iris) to connect using SMTP. But all you need to do is to go into your security settings for Gmail (or I assume Yahoo) and generate an Application password. Set-up BI email server settings as normal, but instead of using your standard password, copy/paste the application generated password. From then on, you don't have to worry about them removing your access.
Yep, works for me, really don't know what this issue is.

SandmanXX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can one of you elaborate more on how you have this set up? I could use gmail, I have a gmail account I made for this, at least for sending. I obviously want to rec gmiails on my main account though. I have BI running on a windows PC, and I have a synology NAS as well if I needed a mail server, but for the life of me I can't get BI to send any emails.
Maybe screenshot the setup screens for me, and blur out your email address or other private info, just explain what is blurred out as to what it should be? Maybe examples? I know it might be oversimplification, but I've been hammering on this for awhile, and can't get it going.
Thanks.

VideoDad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can one of you elaborate more on how you have this set up? I could use gmail, I have a gmail account I made for this, at least for sending. I obviously want to rec gmiails on my main account though. I have BI running on a windows PC, and I have a synology NAS as well if I needed a mail server, but for the life of me I can't get BI to send any emails.
Maybe screenshot the setup screens for me, and blur out your email address or other private info, just explain what is blurred out as to what it should be? Maybe examples? I know it might be oversimplification, but I've been hammering on this for awhile, and can't get it going.
Thanks.
It's pretty straight forward. I have my Google account set-up with 2FA. So first you need to make an "App password" for Blue Iris in the Security settings of your Google Account. That will give you a 16 character code that you will use in place of your usual Google password.
Screenshot 2022-04-24 190023.png
In Blue Iris, create an Email server as follows. The email is your Google gmail account. And the password is the app password you generated previously. If you did it correctly, a Test mail should go through.
Screenshot 2022-04-24 185824.png
Also, make sure your Blue Iris PC can see the internet if you want it to send. :)

SandmanXX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That did it. Thanks a bunch. Did not go the app password route, previously. It works now, at least the test does. Now I've gotten the motion settings set up and it'll be a waiting game. Thanks again!

Reaction score
I didn't see anyone recommend this but mailgun - Transactional Email API Service For Developers | Mailgun is what I use. The free tier allows for 1300 emails a month and you can create unlimited smtp senders. I have one for every VM/Server/Device and it sends them all to my personal gmail where I have rules based on the from address/subject.

They also have an awesome API so you can use it a whole host of different ways.

SandmanXX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I got it working through BI, although they are a little slow, and keeps sending me repeat pictures.