5 switches, 1 nvr - how to use the uplink ports"2" on each switch?

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
NSW2010-16T2GC-POE-IN-BA is Gigabit uplink Unmanaged Switch -

Very large building. 1 NVR with 2 nic's. 1 nic to the wan. 1 nic for the cameras. 5 total switches. two switches 300 ft in different locations, feeding two other switches 300 ft further in different locations. 1 Switch at the same location as the NVR. So I'd go from the NVR to an uplink port on the 1st switch - to feed cameras and the 4 other switches, or Should I add a gigbit switch from the 1st switch's uplink port (because the other uplink port goes to the NVR) in order to have two gigabit links to the 4 switches in the field - (so to speak) in order to avoid using a regular 100mbt port to feed another two switches?

The switches have two, gigabit uplink ports and 16 poe @ 100mbt ports.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
NSW2010-16T2GC-POE-IN-BA is Gigabit uplink Unmanaged Switch -

Very large building. 1 NVR with 2 nic's. 1 nic to the wan. 1 nic for the cameras. 5 total switches. two switches 300 ft in different locations, feeding two other switches 300 ft further in different locations. 1 Switch at the same location as the NVR. So I'd go from the NVR to an uplink port on the 1st switch - to feed cameras and the 4 other switches, or Should I add a gigbit switch from the 1st switch's uplink port (because the other uplink port goes to the NVR) in order to have two gigabit links to the 4 switches in the field - (so to speak) in order to avoid using a regular 100mbt port to feed another two switches?

The switches have two, gigabit uplink ports and 16 poe @ 100mbt ports.
Hi @observant1

Time to draw out your network, calculate the bandwidth and determine what works ..

Thankfully switches are much better now .. not like the olden days ..

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I did a search on linking switches and becane more confused than I was.

Talked about crossover cables, only 1 uplink port usable even thought you have 2......etc

I think both uplink ports can be used on these switches at the same time. The bottleneck may be between the 1st switch with 1 available uplink to feed the other 4 switches.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I havent read all replies but I'm thinking of putting a small gigabit switch to feed the switches uplink ports.

It would be installed at the NVR, either feeding 3 up-link ports on 3 switches, that feed the other two, or from the 2nd uplink port on the 1st switch to feed the the 2 switches that feed the last two.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
How many camera's/ ...whats the total bandwidth the NVR can handle? Some Nvr's show Mbps limits like 320 or 85 etc.....
But yes to the extra switch. I bought a little gigabit switch. maybe you could get by with that .....

The NVR is dahua 320 mbps

Thanks.....

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looked on amazon @ the switch you recomended...........

Last purchased Jun 6, 2021 - so i have a couple of those :)

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Even without installing a small gigbit switch at the NVR, we'd be using two 100 mbt ports to feed the remote switches that will have about 8 cameras each.

The switches are unmanaged but have a feature that allows you to block each port from talking to the other ports. Each POE port can only route back over the uplink ports when the DIP switch is in the VPN position.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We used a small gigabit switch to feed 3 switches, two of those switches feed another switch each. It worked OK. An IT guy that manages some of the POE switches inside the building (which are using fiber) recomended we daisy chain the switches using the uplink ports, as long as we don't surpass the 328 ft mark.

Attachments

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
We tried a couple of different ways to link the switches. The best way, without a throughput test/analizer that we decided on was the use a 5 port gigabit switch to connect three switches to the NVR with two of the switches using their 2nd uplink ports to connect to the last two switches.

We could see some latencey if we daisy chained all 5 switches using the uplink ports. This seems like common sense not to daisy chain 5 switches if you think about it, but were told to try it that way so we did.

I do like these uniview swithes. NSW2010-16T2GC-POE-IN-BA

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The resolution, or best results were to use a 5 port gigabit switch using 4 ports, 1 as the feed from the NVR, 2 go to the uplink ports on 2 remote poe switches, with each of those two poe switches using their 2nd uplink port each feed a separate poe switch via it's uplink port.POE Switch connect.jpgBitRate.pngBitRate.png
The recomended bit rate is from an Amcrest IP Camera setup article. The frame rate for each 8Mp cam is 15-FPS with a CBR of 2048.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
In my books the bitrate is way too low? I run my 4Mp cam at CBR 8192 so an 8Mp logically should be higher shouldn’t it.

No idea on the real world diffs between h264, which is what I use and h265 but from what I’ve read realistically to get the same/similar PQ there’s not much storage data saving.