5.5.9 - June 28, 2022 - “direct to wire"

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
5.5.9 - June 28, 2022
A new option for stream encoding, “direct to wire,” may be found on Settings/Web Server/
Advanced/Streaming configuration. Video may now be passed directly from a camera’s
direct-to-disc frame buffer to the browser UI3 and other clients.
A new option for the upload alert action to send an MP4 file. If an email alert action is also
configured, this file is shared between these actions.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
From the help file.
When Direct to Wire is in effect, video is passed directly from a camera’s direct-to-disc
frame buffer to the browser UI3 and other clients. This has the huge benefit of using NO
CPU for the decoding and re-encoding of the video. However, this also means the video will
not have Blue Iris overlays and is limited to either the sub or main stream WITHOUT
MODIFICATION—that is, it becomes imperative to manage the stream encoding properties
on the camera side. You should have a reasonable key frame rate (0.40 or higher) and use
H.264 (as UI3 and the phone apps cannot decode H.265 at this time).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well you don't have to use the new feature....

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I also enabled Direct to wire with a noticeable improvement. Fantastic!
I enabled it and didn't see any real improvement on my FireTV's and my overlays still show up. I have an image overlay of a temperature readout.

aadje93

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Finally :D. The 1 function i was realy worried about, why force re-encode stuff when you can just pass through the incoming stream.

Could be me, but the livestream seems to lagg behind more now too.~14 seconds. With direct to wire off, its like <1 second from the camera config screen OSD time compared to the time showing in blue iris from the camera OSD

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I enabled it and didn't see any real improvement on my FireTV's and my overlays still show up. I have an image overlay of a temperature readout.
Are your cameras running h.265? if so, it will reencode.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Finally :D. The 1 function i was realy worried about, why force re-encode stuff when you can just pass through the incoming stream.

Could be me, but the livestream seems to lagg behind more now too.~14 seconds. With direct to wire off, its like <1 second from the camera config screen OSD time compared to the time showing in blue iris from the camera OSD
I'm not noticing any lag... <1 second between console view and UI3.

Last edited:

Hetticles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm seeing a bunch of lag with direct-to-wire as well. Well technically it is slowly falling behind which accumulates to a large lag.
If I solo camera view in UI3, and then in another window open the all camera index, I can see lag slowly accumulate until its multiple seconds.

In the below screenshot, I have the camera open twice (once in solo view, once in index view). You can see 20+ seconds of difference in the timestamp (generated by camera)

Attachments