4k help

MIS

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for advice on 4k cameras and an NVR. I'm considering 4 of the IPC-HDW5830R-Z cameras to pair with a DH-NVR4208-8P-4KS2 from Andy's store here:

Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com

and here:

These are for an inside office environment and will be recording 24/7. I picked that NVR for the extra channels in case we want to expand in the future.

1) It looks like only PAL versions of the cameras are offered, this NVR will work with these cameras, right? Will PAL cameras create other issues trying to view from a PC?

2) Storage-wise, if I want to record 24/7, 4k@15fps in H.265 and keep at least a week of footage, I need at least 3TB of HDD, right? Purple WD the best route to go here?

3) Anyone have other advice, insight, or recommendations regarding this hardware combination?

Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for advice on 4k cameras and an NVR. I'm considering 4 of the IPC-HDW5830R-Z cameras to pair with a DH-NVR4208-8P-4KS2 from Andy's store here:

and here:

These are for an inside office environment and will be recording 24/7. I picked that NVR for the extra channels in case we want to expand in the future.

1) It looks like only PAL versions of the cameras are offered, this NVR will work with these cameras, right? Will PAL cameras create other issues trying to view from a PC?

2) Storage-wise, if I want to record 24/7, 4k@15fps in H.265 and keep at least a week of footage, I need at least 3TB of HDD, right? Purple WD the best route to go here?

3) Anyone have other advice, insight, or recommendations regarding this hardware combination?

Thanks
Welcome MIS

PAL vs NTSC make less difference with IP cameras than analog - so typically not too much to worry about, perhaps only max frame rate - which shouldn't be an issue as the 4K camera max is 15fps.
( PAL is 25fps, NTSC 30 fps )

Many people like the WD purple HDD, you can also get a seagate skyhawk which is also for surveillance.

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

MIS

n3wb
Reaction score
I appreciate all of your help guys. I already read up a bit on the varifocal turret thread and mat200's notes. If I felt like investing more time in this project I'd probably grab a new POE switch and spin up a VM or build a PC for Blue Iris, but I just wanted a plug and play solution. Camera positions won't be changing and the farthest run from a cam to the NVR or switch in the server room is under 100ft. The boss wants better resolution as I've currently got 8 fixed lens analog cams, so I was trying to find a decently priced 4K option. I was mostly concerned with regional/hardware compatibility and storage requirements. I also would love to hear anyone's opinion on these actual cameras, specifically compared to the varifocal turret 5231s. I see that night vision is amazing with the 5231s, but I'm more concerned with daytime color and being able to resolve details. The 5208 NVR you pointed out looney2ns, is beefier and pricier than the 4208, but it looks like the 4208 would handle my use case and even 8 of these cameras if I chose to expand, right?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I appreciate all of your help guys. I already read up a bit on the varifocal turret thread and mat200's notes. If I felt like investing more time in this project I'd probably grab a new POE switch and spin up a VM or build a PC for Blue Iris, but I just wanted a plug and play solution. Camera positions won't be changing and the farthest run from a cam to the NVR or switch in the server room is under 100ft. The boss wants better resolution as I've currently got 8 fixed lens analog cams, so I was trying to find a decently priced 4K option. I was mostly concerned with regional/hardware compatibility and storage requirements. I also would love to hear anyone's opinion on these actual cameras, specifically compared to the varifocal turret 5231s. I see that night vision is amazing with the 5231s, but I'm more concerned with daytime color and being able to resolve details. The 5208 NVR you pointed out looney2ns, is beefier and pricier than the 4208, but it looks like the 4208 would handle my use case and even 8 of these cameras if I chose to expand, right?
Hi MIS,

4K cameras appear to be great for good light conditions from what I have seen.
Do look at the threads here on 4K sample videos.

Look at the NVR 5216 models - just a bit more than the 5208 model and can handle more cameras. The 5xxx series of NVR has iirc a few more features vs the 4xxx NVR so do look for the differences to determine if they matter to you.

If you want you can actually look at NVR models which can also handle analog cameras, so if you are looking to upgrade your analog DVR now would be a good time to look at options.