4K driveway cam?

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This pic is from one of my better varifocal 4mp cams. It's set on the lowest setting. I believe 2.7mm. Camera is sitting on top of a ladder to test location. Talking to Andy about getting the camera below and it comes in 3 fixed models. I think 6mm is too much for this area. What do you think? I was leaning towards the 3.6mm.

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
And keep in mind the 4K doesn't see infrared, so you either need enough ambient light or use the built-in white LED.
It is dark there. I can add light. Would you recommend something with better nv?

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Personal I like the optical zoom to give me the best shot, especially at night. I would go with the 6mm.

But you have a varifocal so set it to about 6mm and see what you think.
I am hoping to get cams up Sunday. At least a few. That cam in the pic is going there for now.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you don't have enough light or don't want to use the built-in white LED, then the 5442 series camera that sees infrared is the better choice.

But if you have light or use the built-in light, the 4K/X is a better choice.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It is dark there. I can add light. Would you recommend something with better nv?
I use the color 4k in the front as I have porch lights and a street light. It barely works. The shutter speed is slow enough to capture images, but long enough that they are a tad too blurry.
I do not use the on board lights. They are like mini specular bursts and are very distracting. Note that my cameras are 5 feet from grade. Eve mount may help a little, but no better way to advertise your camera location IMHO.
Others indicate they would just throw 100 watt bulbs in the coach lights to fix this, but my neighborhood isn’t progressive in that way.

I only use IR cameras in the back yard as there are no lights there at all. The best two cameras I have back there are the:
Mini PTZ

Note that both IR cameras a very much “so-so” without any off board IR light. Meaning you can get by with the on board IR lights, but if you want footage that can readily identify someone, better lighting is always the answer. So I have 2 of these IR lights and will be adding a third soon:
Tendelux IR light

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you don't have enough light or don't want to use the built-in white LED, then the 5442 series camera that sees infrared is the better choice.

But if you have light or use the built-in light, the 4K/X is a better choice.
I can add light or can go the other route. Whichever you think will give me the best results.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I use the color 4k in the front as I have porch lights and a street light. It barely works. The shutter speed is slow enough to capture images, but long enough that they are a tad too blurry.
I do not use the on board lights. They are like mini specular bursts and are very distracting. Note that my cameras are 5 feet from grade. Eve mount may help a little, but no better way to advertise your camera location IMHO.
Others indicate they would just throw 100 watt bulbs in the coach lights to fix this, but my neighborhood isn’t progressive in that way.

I only use IR cameras in the back yard as there are no lights there at all. The best two cameras I have back there are the:
Mini PTZ

Note that both IR cameras a very much “so-so” without any off board IR light. Meaning you can get by with the on board IR lights, but if you want footage that can readily identify someone, better lighting is always the answer. So I have 2 of these IR lights and will be adding a third soon:
Tendelux IR light
I have some cheaper IR lights I bought a few years ago and never used. Not nearly as fancy as that model. I'm going to try what I have and can upgrade down the road.

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I can add light or can go the other route. Whichever you think will give me the best results.
If you go with the NON IR approach, and you indicated you could “add light”, I would suggest multiple lights.

In the end it depends on how important what you are trying to protect is to you. If you want the best footage, then 100 watt light bulbs on each side of the driveway (closer to the street), 1 or 2 on the freestanding garage and one near the camera (facing outwards) so that the Color 4K can capture good footage.

Same with IR if you go that direction. I would recommend mounting several independent IR lights. Minimum 10 watts each. Preferably 20 as your driveway looks like a large driveway

DanDenver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have some cheaper IR lights I bought a few years ago and never used. Not nearly as fancy as that model. I'm going to try what I have and can upgrade down the road.
Its not age, its watts and beam spread. You need to identify what those specs are in order to make in informed decision.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is my front Color 4K around 2am a few days ago.
The fox lost his tail somehow and is a regular in the neighborhood.
The 2 garage lights are 40 watts. The streetlight across the street is sodium and thus introduces a greenish color.
The 2 lights on the columns are 15 watts.
The fox is walking quickly and the capture is acceptable, but the lighting I think is too dark. At least, if I was identifying a person I think it is too dark
View attachment 146985
This was a fox in my back yard last night. Was hoping it was a coyote. That's pretty nice video but I agree it could be a little bit brighter.

Attachments

tmxv4128

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Is that your garage in the picture? If it is, I think a directional light placed on each side would give the Color 4K-X plenty of light. You wouldn't have to worry about the soffit reflection because you wouldn't be using the camera's white lights. I have one a Color 4K-X overlooking a street intersection at the front of my house, and it is illuminated by one street light. It is fantastic. I tested the Color 4K-X in 2.8mm, 3.6mm, and 6mm at that location, after previously using a 5442. I finally decided upon the 2.8mm, as it provides the best image under low light. The 3.6mm is a close second, but as an overview camera, it falls a little short of the 2.8mm. The 6mm needs more light.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is that your garage in the picture? If it is, I think a directional light placed on each side would give the Color 4K-X plenty of light. You wouldn't have to worry about the soffit reflection because you wouldn't be using the camera's white lights. I have one a Color 4K-X overlooking a street intersection at the front of my house, and it is illuminated by one street light. It is fantastic. I tested the Color 4K-X in 2.8mm, 3.6mm, and 6mm at that location, after previously using a 5442. I finally decided upon the 2.8mm, as it provides the best image under low light. The 3.6mm is a close second, but as an overview camera, it falls a little short of the 2.8mm. The 6mm needs more light.
Yes that's my garage. It has decorative lights on it now. I can change one on the garage and one on the house to a motion activated light or just something that comes on all night. Both would cover the driveway perfectly.

Hound Dog 911

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A good 4k nv camera may be easiest or is color the way to go? No lights all night is nice. Not saying open for business.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Or all the lights on keeps them moving to another home!

There are benefits to infrared and color. At very least you should have one camera in color, even if not used to IDENTIFY, but to get skin and clothing color, car color, etc.