4.3.0 - February 23, 2016

mcx

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
4.3.0 - February 23, 2016

The previous motion "mask" feature has been greatly expanded to allow for 8 "zones" instead. Your existing masks will become zone A, and hotspots are zone H.

The object detection rules page now features a setting for zone/line crossing. You may specify simple A>B movement or more complex AB>C etc.

The triggering object's zones are logged to the database as part of the Alert image list.

Motion zone letters are appended to the &TYPE macro for use with email, SMS and Run alerts.

Alerts may be triggered based on motion zones. This allows you to record trigger events without necessarily being notified in every case.

Video flip and rotate are now allowed when using direct-to-disc recording to BVR file format. The flip/rotate status is saved to the BVR file and the viewer/player components will perform these operations prior to display.

A number of tweaks have been made to the motion detector's shadow-elimination algorithm in order to make it more tolerant of clouds and lighting changes. More attention will be paid to this area as required to further eliminate false positive alerts.

In general, when a clip is deleted, its alert images are also deleted. However, if you specify to "save hi-res" alerts on the Record tab, these resulting JPEG files will NOT be deleted automatically with their clips, but will remain according to the age rule for alert images on the Options/Clips page. This will allow you to keep alerts for an extended period of time beyond the video clips themselves.

The motion detection algorithms have been once again reformulated, this time to be much simpler, and hopefully more reliable for those that were experiencing issues with shadows etc.

Looks interesting - but:

When running BI as service then the previous "masks" goes incorrect and BI crash when try to edit "zones".

Seems working correctly when running BI as a console.

Emailed Ken.

Vini

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looks interesting - but:

When running BI as service then the previous "masks" goes incorrect and BI crash when try to edit "zones".

Seems working correctly when running BI as a console.

Emailed Ken.
I like this change. Hopefully we can define different levels of motion awareness per zone.

However, like you, my Zone A is 'broken' and I get a crash when editing the zones. I too, am running as a service on Windows 10, 1511.

edit: As you mention, switching to .exe (from Service) does still remember the settings, so it seems that this is a good temporary fix :)

Last edited by a moderator:

arkham

n3wb
Reaction score
I like the new zone change as well, but I also cannot get it to work when running as a Windows Service. My zone changes when running as a service are ignored, and revert back to the whole frame being a motion sensitive area. When running as the non-service exe application, it works fine.

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I noticed the motion detection seems a lot more sensitive. I highlight motion and I get a lot of little purple boxes indicating motion where there isn't any.

Anyone else notice this?

Vini

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I noticed the motion detection seems a lot more sensitive. I highlight motion and I get a lot of little purple boxes indicating motion where there isn't any.

Anyone else notice this?
It does say the motion algorithm has been reformulated, perhaps its just a case of finding the sweet spot again..?

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It does say the motion algorithm has been reformulated, perhaps its just a case of finding the sweet spot again..?
Yep, I did see that. This is what I am talking about:
Untitled-1.jpg

It's an image of mulch by our sidewalk and the purple boxes indicate motion and eventually will set an alert. There is absolutely no movement there.

Vini

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is that bit part of your motion detection region?

I've just checked mine, and whilst Zone A has adopted the old Motion Region, it looks like the Zones other than A are set to 'blanket' record ANY motion. Could this be happening with you too?

edit: Infact, I've just checked again, and my Zone A appears to have inverted. The 'Green' painted areas now appear to capture motion, and the darkened/cleared part of the image is ignoring motion...

ilikebike

n3wb
Reaction score
I've just checked mine, and whilst Zone A has adopted the old Motion Region, it looks like the Zones other than A are set to 'blanket' record ANY motion. Could this be happening with you too?

edit: Infact, I've just checked again, and my Zone A appears to have inverted. The 'Green' painted areas now appear to capture motion, and the darkened/cleared part of the image is ignoring motion...

Same here, all my motion areas have flipped.

4.3.0.1 is out as well but I'm not sure what's changed.

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This particular camera does not have "use zones and hotspot" checked at all, so I take that to mean the entire field of view is one large motion detection region. At least that's how it was before. Maybe I have to figure out how to use zones now...

technet

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
4.3.0.2 available now.

Blue Iris running as service still not working on Win7 64bit with Hardware Acceleration enabled.

Vini

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This particular camera does not have "use zones and hotspot" checked at all, so I take that to mean the entire field of view is one large motion detection region. At least that's how it was before. Maybe I have to figure out how to use zones now...
If you want ALL the image to be monitored, why not tick use Zones and Hotspot, and just rectangle all of Zone A to be 'green'? I think that should do it, though I'm still trying to get my head around this new zonal thing myself :D

mcx

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
4.3.0.2 now, thats quick work :)

View attachment 8511
Yes, Ken fixed it under 1/2 hour after I sent the camera settings to him. No issues with masks and crashing when run as service - very impressive.:)

Edit. I have Win 8.1 and HA enabled.

Vini

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Blue Iris running as service still not working on Win7 64bit with Hardware Acceleration enabled.
When you say 'not working', what exactly does that mean? What do you get/not get/see/not see?

I'm (back) Running as a Service, on Windows 10, 1511 x64, with "Use Intel Hardware acceleration for H.264 decoding" ticked.

PS. Motion and Running as a Service seems fixed in 4.3.0.2

Bill Scruggs

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is what I have found so far. I hope it will help those that are confused with the new motion settings.

1. 4.3.0.2 has solved the "running as a service" problem for me as far as saving masks.
2. Masks used to be exclude areas and is now include areas. Green areas are motion detection areas. Areas not in green will NOT be included in motion detection.
3. You can now have multiple detection zones. Motion will be detected in any of the zones A-G. Zone H is the new Hot Spot Zone where the red area will record any motion.
4. The new Object crosses zone option looks promising. Like a line crossing setup. I am still playing with it, but it look like you can set it up so that if you have motion in zone A then motion in zone B (A>B) it will trigger . Or A-B will record in either direction.

Hope this helps!

EDIT: It seems that for "Object crosses zones" to work that the zones must be touching each other or overlapped. Zones that do not intersect each other will not trigger.

Rockford622

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you want ALL the image to be monitored, why not tick use Zones and Hotspot, and just rectangle all of Zone A to be 'green'? I think that should do it, though I'm still trying to get my head around this new zonal thing myself :D
I think that's what I'm going to have to do is just make the entire field of view green. The motion detection seems A LOT more sensitive, not just a little now...I don't even have the "High Definition" check box checked.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Annoying that I have to go in an invert the zones now or else BI detects motion in all the wrong places. For both my day and night profiles too.

ipcamal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So just so i understand with new 4.3 version what ever was darkened and excluded is not the opposite?

integlikewhoa

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So just so i understand with new 4.3 version what ever was darkened and excluded is not the opposite?
There is no more black color. It's now dark green. And anything in dark green is where the motion is being watched or detected.

So picture all green anything moves anywhere it's picked up. If you press the "clear" button and all green is removed then no motion will be detected.
So make your area where you want to watch for motion dark green. If you already had a mask setup to block out areas, just click the "invert" button to reverse it.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like whatever you had previously darkened (i.e. masked off) in older versions got converted into Motion Zone A in Blue Iris 4.3. Unfortunately this is exactly the opposite of the desired behavior, so if you want to restore old behavior you have to go in and invert Zone A on every camera.

So, in past versions, the areas marked in gray were excluded from motion detection. But in Blue Iris 4.3 now there are no gray marked areas, only green marked areas. Motion is only detected in green areas.