2332 & QNAP NAS - Alarm recording confusion

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
OK, first post, done hours of reading here and on 't' web to figure out WTF is going on.

AIM: To record ONLY motion triggered events from a single 2332 to the qnap Surveillance Station.

So far: NAS is confgured and working, 2332 is configured and working, have made all changes on the 2332 to say ONLY record motion (using the minimum 5 seconds before and after)

Issue: lots of video files at short time intervals with no obvious motion content.

Is it too much to ask that this system will only record motion?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Is it too much to ask that this system will only record motion?
What version of Surveillance Station? Current is 5.1.1.0
SS 5.x certainly has the ability to record only motion from Hikvision cameras, whether they are connected as native Hikvision or as ONVIF ProfileS.
Uncheck the 'Recording Schedule' in Camera Management, add a Recording Action for Motion detection events under 'Event Management'.

Issue: lots of video files at short time intervals with no obvious motion content.
I'm going to speculate that these do actually show motion - raindrops, bugs, changed lighting / shadows etc etc
Especially if:
In QVRmon the Playback timeline is marked with red intervals.
The files under the NAS /Recordings shared folder reside in the 'record_nvr_alarm' folder as opposed to the 'record_nvr' folder.
What you will not get, though, are any recording actions from 'smart events' such as Line Crossing detection, Intrusion detection as SS does not support these.
Maybe you could post a sample video?

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The files are in the _alarm folder, as you comment, I have Recording Schedule unchecked and no longer get files in the _nvr folder, but to test I have the unit in the office rather than outside to negate as many errors as possible.
Would you know what is the difference in SS under event management between start recording when motion is detected and activate alarm recording? do i need both checked?

Thanks for the response

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Would you know what is the difference in SS under event management between start recording when motion is detected and activate alarm recording? do i need both checked
I'm sorry but I don't know what differentiates these choices, I've only used the Advanced Mode for recording setup.
I don't know either if setting the alarm recording schedule in Traditional mode also takes effect in Advanced mode where that option is not available.
Maybe you need to do a couple of tests, it would be interesting to know.

From the manual:
Traditional Mode
Alarm Settings
Select a channel (IP camera/video server) on the list and configure the alarm
settings. The video recording will be activated when the alarm input of the
selected channel is triggered or a moving object is detected.
When the option ‘Activate alarm recording only on selected schedule’ is enabled,
the alarm recording will be activated only when the alarm input is triggered or a
moving object is detected within the schedule. Test the settings by clicking
‘Test’. Click ‘Apply’ to apply the settings to the selected channel. To apply
the same settings to all the channels on the list, click ‘Apply to all cameras’.