2 Questions about drives....

Reaction score
I am setting up a small system for a business. It will have a 4TB purple storage with an M2 SSD drive in a Optiplex SFF-- no room for another drive, but that should not be an issue as there will be a small number of cameras (probably 8 max). We can always swap in a 8TB Purple if he wants a longer archive of videos before it re-writes.

Here is the SSD in this system:
1612283870549.png

Question 1: Do I TRUST this thing? Would you replace it with a Samsung? Any thoughts on this? (I don't even know if this is the stock ssd from Dell or not.)

Question 2: How long would you keep / rely on any drive? A drive failure sucks--- do most of you just "retire" old drives after a certain amount of time or hours in use?

Techhead

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's a Dell OEM drive and would be covered by Dell's three year Optiplex warranty, assuming you bought it new.
I personally would see no reason to replace it.

I suppose your #2 question is up for debate.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) The SSD and NVMe from this manufacture has good reviews on amazon. I would use it.
2) I have not had a purple drive fail yet and they have been running for years. Most other drives I have had fail are in there first few months of use. As your 4TB purple drive will only carry data , if it has a true failure, it can easily be replace with very little hassle.

Note: I have a old 1TB usb hard drive that I use to do a weekly windows 10 backup (windows 7 style image). So if my SSD fails I have a good starting point.

In my expense the killer of drives is heat or major power surges. All my computer systems and equipment are on UPS. I clean the filter about once every 3 months.