19GB VRAM/Memory Usage in Blue Iris?

Dowd

n3wb
Reaction score
Specs are:
  • Ryzen 5800X
  • X570 Mobo
  • 32GB (2 x 16GB DDR4 2666MHz)
  • ROG Strix 3090 (I have also tried an A2000 6GB, a 2080ti 12GB)

I currently have 27 cameras. I am currently consuming 19GB/24GB on a 3090. I have Deepstack, however stopping deepstack and rebooting the system (after disabling startup), only affects the VRAM by 1-2GB. Below is a screenshot of all my cameras in play, that shows resolution, substreams, bitrate, etc. I am aware some of them are 30 fps and high bitrate, which I will be reducing, but it doesn't really affect much of the overall usage thus far. I am just wondering if this is normal or if there is something I need to tweak? I have been testing out multiple graphics cards, and have had some BSODs. This might have messed up the system causing the high usage, so I might reinstall the OS just to make sure everything is fresh (because I have been trying different drivers when swapping gpus).

EDIT: After reinstalling everything, I got the same results, however I set Hardware accelerated decode (restart cameras) under Settings > Cameras to No from NVDEC and it stopped using the VRAM. Performance looks the same afaik? I am going to do more testing in the meantime. I was aware that NVIDIA encoding was supposed to be inefficient, but to require at least a 3090 to utilize it at 27 cameras vs none seems a bit broken in my book.

Attachments

Last edited:

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am just wondering if this is normal or if there is something I need to tweak? I have been testing out multiple graphics cards, and have had some BSODs, so I might reinstall the OS just to make sure everything is fresh (because I have been trying different drivers when swapping gpus).

Specs are:
  • Ryzen 5800X
  • X570 Mobo
  • 32GB (2 x 16GB DDR4 2666MHz)
  • ROG Strix 3090 (I have also tried an A2000 6GB, a 2080ti 12GB)

I currently have 27 cameras. I am currently consuming 19GB/24GB on a 3090. I have Deepstack, however stopping deepstack and rebooting the system (after disabling startup), only affects the VRAM by 1-2GB. Below is a screenshot of all my cameras in play, that shows resolution, substreams, bitrate, etc. I am aware some of them are 30 fps and high bitrate, which I will be reducing, but it doesn't really affect much of the overall usage thus far.
I was having similar issue with BSODs and it was bad RAM causing. Try running a memory test.

Dowd

n3wb
Reaction score
I was having similar issue with BSODs and it was bad RAM causing. Try running a memory test.
Well the BSODs were video memory related, I checked the memory dump file after it happened, its understandable because both the A2000 and the 2080ti hit their memory caps. This is the first day with the 3090 and everything seems stable now. I did perform a memtest and it passed fine before.

My main concern is whether or not this seems like normal usage. I have more cameras to add, and I can see myself either adding another 3090 or being forced to go with an A6000 (if I am unable to split them between two GPUs).