Multiple network cards

Reaction score
My BI computer has three NIC cards to interface a switch with 3 VLANS ( 2 cameras separated for a and house service). My question is what / where/How is the system to know which card to make the ip request?

After implementing VLANs, my BI fills in cameras at a much slower rate, like 30 seconds compared to less than 5 seconds before.

Does it remember where the various IP addresses are? If there is a book you can point me too, that's great too.
thanks
rob

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You have to assign each NIC a static IP address.

Reaction score
Yes, 192.168.0.7 and 0.8 and 0.9. My VLANs have slowed the internet speed test from 700 down to 90 mbs, which is ok. I am using Negear equipment with the 802.xx packet expansion process versus switch port defined VLAN.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not sure implementing 3 network cards with different IP addresses equates to "implementing VLANs" - can you give more detail?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Each card must have its own IP on a separate subnetwork.

If I’ve understood the above then you have used 192.168.0.7, 192.168.0.8 and 192.168.0.9 all these IPs are on the same subnetwork so no wonder the Pc is getting confused as it doesn’t know which card to send the requests to.

My BI PC has 4 LAN ports, 1 on the mobo and 3 on an expansion card. My main home network sits on the subnet 192.168.0.0 so the card connected to that has the IP 192.168.0.30. I then have 2 other subnets, 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.2.0, my cams are connected to these cards with IP addresses of for example 192.168.1.50 and 192.168.2.50, the first 3 digits identify the subnet.

The above aren’t VLANs as such, we are using the physical cards and associated subnet to essentially keep traffic seperated.

Reaction score
My network is visible part way down this recent networking thread: ( don’t know how to add link)
Defined Subnet versus VLAN: Is there a difference in my example for Blue IrisI

I struggle with understanding whether you need different subnets like 0,1,2 .xxx or just let the VLAN L3 process keep things separated. All the examples of VLAN seem to show using different subnet. My system is working all on 192.168.0.xxx because I added VLANs to an unified network( one subnet) I am using the trunk feature of 802.1Q because of single path remote locations.

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Rare instances/ circumstances have multiple NICS in one system within the same subnet. Almost 100% of the time when multiple NICs are installed in one system, each NIC is on a separate subnet; VLAN or no VLAN.

Most common use of VLANs is that each VLAN has only one subnet. Yes, you can have multiple subnets on a VLAN just as you can have multiple VLANs on a flat network.

Devices which talk to one another frequently are assigned to the same VLAN on the same subnet. When a device from one VLAN (subnet) needs to talk to a device on another VLAN (subnet) those packets are routed via an L3 router.

Magic does not happen, the design of the network enables the needed/required communications and/or separation to occur.

Trunk lines are used to allow multiple VLANS to transverse smart switches using a single port, nothing more.

There is no “VLAN L3” process keeping subnets isolated from one another. Connecting a NIC on a specified subnet to its specifically designed VLAN is manually implemented.

The essence of VLANs is having separate networks all sharing the same infrastructure. Each VLAN is managed and maintained accordingly.

L3 capable switches allow, when configured to do so, communication between the different VLANs (subnet).

Reaction score
jmhmcse
Thanks for jumping in. You miss understood what I was asking. I said " or just let the VLAN L3 process keep things separated " perhaps "things" should have been "packets" I will set up a test bed with 2 cameras and a managed router to test subnets. I have never used multiple subnets and just know if they're not the same , devices don't communicate.
You helped me implement the VLANS on my network, so a simple ( hopefully) question: What do I gain If I change the devices' subnets of green, VLAN 12, to 1.xxx and dark green, VLAN 13, to 2.xxx and leave red VLAN at 0.xxx?
Thanks

IP Cam Locations3-29.jpg

jmhmcse

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There is no "VLAN process" that separates things or packets. There is no magic, you design and implement the network; define VLANs and always associate one subnet to that VLAN.

I have never used multiple subnets and just know if they're not the same , devices don't communicate.

YES, different subnets do not communicate with one another... however, that is what you are attempting to do, isolate devices from one another. Your network has been a simple/flat network on one subnet... you are changing to a multiple subnet environment.

If you were to maintain three unique and three dedicated physical (flat) networks and have them each using a different subnet you would have to buy a lot more networking switches and run additional cabling. Instead, using an Layer 3 (L3) switch you have one physical network that you can logically separate into three or more multiple networks.

Routers have the ability to forward (link) traffic from one subnet to another when allowed/defined to do so. Your ASUS router connects the WAN (internet public IP address) to you LAN (private IP address). These two IPs are not on the same subnet but do communicate via the router. A router is a device that connects two or more packet-switched networks or subnetworks.

A L3 switch is a special network device that has the functionality of a router (L3) and a switch (Layer 2) combined into one chassis. Just like your router that connects WAN to LAN, a L3 switch can provide communications (connections) between different subnets; i.e. VLANs.

When you define a VLAN (aka subnet) on a L3 you are defining a logically new/separate/unique network path. As you define which ports are assigned to that VLAN you are creating a logical switch connection for the device you connect to it. When a device is requires to be a member of multiple VLANs (multiple subnets) each NIC must be assigned from the IP subnet range of which the VLAN has been defined.

These are all manual steps that must be physically managed. Simply creating VLANs on an L3 switch, assigning ports to VLANS, and installing multiple NICs (on the same subnet) does not auto-magically make a valid network. I can see how the L3 switches are going nuts trying to make sense of the current environment.

---------

You should expand your knowledge from simple (flat, single subnet networks) to more advanced multiple subnet networks. A brief description of the pieces (layers) of network communication is below. I recommend further research/reading to improve your understanding of each of these layers and how they all work together.

======

The Open Systems Interconnection model is a standard reference model that describes how applications communicate over a network. The OSI model gives us a visual design of how each of the seven communication layers is built atop another. It starts with the physical cabling and continues all the way to the application that is trying to communicate with other devices on the network.

There are seven layers in the OSI model:

Layer 1 (Physical)​
Layer 2 (Data-Link)​
Layer 3 (Network)​
Layer 4 (Transport)​
Layer 5 (Session)​
Layer 6 (Presentation)​
Layer 7 (Application)​

Reaction score
Thanks all, I’ll continue my research and education.
jm:
“There is no "VLAN process" that separates things or packets.”
I was referring to the internal managed switch process that tags and untags packets to accomplish the virtual mission.