CPAI Custom Models help

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,
I have been reading the manual regarding custom models, but I don't seem to grasp fully on how to set this up.
I notice AI detects some trees and mailboxes as giraffes, people..it also detects my AC unit as a refrigerator or a toilet.

I am only interested in AI to detect people, cars and maybe dogs. Do I need to setup a custom model that only detects those objects?
Would that fix my issue?

I am not interested in detecting faces or lic plates.
How do I configure AI to only look for people, cars and dogs?

Thanks.

Last edited:

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you want just humans/Vehicles

Theres already cameras that have built in ai for just that.

You wont need to run separated server for processing stream, as camera will do it for you.

Also Hikvision supports HEOP 2.0 andfreshly AIOP where you can learn camera to detect anything. % depends on how good and large dataset is.

Or you know, you can always use CodeProject free stuff. I believe its yoloV8 right now that can detect objects.

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I apologize, I left out I already use CPAI. Just need help setting custom model for only person/car and possibly dog.
Thanks.

VideoDad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I apologize, I left out I already use CPAI. Just need help setting custom model for only person/car and possibly dog.
Thanks.
First you need to enable custom models on the global AI settings tab. While you are there, turn off the default object detection.

Now go to the camera settings and fill in the settings for the custom model you want to use.

There are two possible custom models already loaded with CPAI that you want to consider.

ipcam-general = person, vehicle

ipcam-combined = person, bicycle, car, motorcycle, bus, truck, bird, cat, dog, horse, sheep, cow, bear, deer, rabbit, raccoon, fox, skunk, squirrel, pig

If you want the simplest case (and don't really need dogs) use the first model.

If you want to know about different vehicle types and animals use the second one.

Case 1:
To confirm = person,vehicle
Custom model = ipcam-general
Mark as vehicle = vehicle

Case 2:
To confirm = person,bicycle,car,motorcycle,bus,truck,dog
Custom model = ipcam-combined
Mark as vehicle = bicycle,car,motorcycle,bus,truck

I suggest turning on the creation of AI DAT files for diagnostic tuning so you can verify that the camera is only using that one model, what objects it detects, confidence levels and time to process.

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ah, that's where it is. I had no idea those options where there. I'll give it a try. So those are supposed to be better than the default one? - for example, the default sometimes detects my mailbox as a person lol.. hopefully this fixes that.

Pastelaso

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
ok.. so I tried the ipcam-general, but every time it detects motion, the blue iris app stops connecting for a few moments. I get message saying "connection limit". I have to wait about 30-45 seconds to be able to use the app.