Anyone out there tried these Wago connectors?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I haven't watched the video so I may be wrong about this. I didn't see the image as the guy labeling those things. I saw it as the guy listing the labels that people have used to dismiss that particular thing.
Its click bait since it Isn’t clear. I saw it the opposite.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Have been using them since they first came to market and have the first generation of them:

The problem I ran into before the newer style came out was space. As others noted the ones you see in my attachment take up way more space than a marrette / wire nut.

Other problems I ran into was depending upon who the inspector was they would not approve them in the final.

That’s a combination of inspectors who are old school who simply can’t learn and accept new technology! With the advent of the (Wing Nut) added to the side of the wire nut it made turning the hardware easier with 100% encapsulation.

As with anything in the world there are tons of copy cat Wago nuts. Don’t purchase any of these fakes as they don’t meet any level of cUL requirements and testing.

There’s a few videos that show real world tests of fake vs real wago’s. Pull / retention strength is apparently lacking.

As is the amount of actual metal to pass the required current. Lastly, the dielectric insulation and durability of the plastic material.

Lots of the fake ones heat up quickly which breaks down the plastic and then results in an obvious hazard because the wire is now exposed!

Attachments

RGL

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not sure where to post this most appropriately, so here goes....

Anybody out there used these yet? I kept seeing them used inside cramped switch and outlet boxes in European and SA videos featuring Shelly Wi-Fi switches. My curiosity peaked so when I discovered they are UL-listed I ordered a 10-pack of the 3 position 221 series (221-413) from Amazon.

The UL approval, the built-in insulation strip length gauge, the allowance for stranded and solid conductors ranging from #28 to #14, provided test points and the clear plastic case for visual inspection convinced me to try them out.

I like the fact that, unlike a wire nut, you can remove and re-insert 1 of the 3 wires...that can be handy if you're replacing a failed or suspect component.

I don't plan to quit using wire nuts or to replace wire nuts with these but I do think they have a place and I hope to try these Wago's out soon.

I've used them on several houses doing lighting in ceilings. No problem at all, easy to use, been about 5 years, not had the first problem. They do make you wonder though, as the contacts just kind of "clip on". I'll keep using them, at least until I have a problem.......

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.