Ants

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
So back to the original question you posed. What was the root cause / problem with the POE / Cameras?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Probably. It’s just conduit going up the pole, but I could probably seal it as well.
A couple of years ago our church's lighted sign out near the highway quit coming on at night. I went out there and found that ladybugs had gone up the 3 wires leading into the PEC (photo-electric control) mounted on the side of the disconnect under the meter that someone had installed years ago. There was no potting compound inside the PEC to stop them and when they got across a hot and a neutral they popped, juices flowed and it fried components on the tiny PCB inside.

I replaced the PEC and packed duct seal up inside there and also around the conduit knockouts where someone had sloppily bent and damaged some of them...I guess the person didn't have a screwdriver and needle-nose pliers, only a hammer or rock.

Which prompted my thoughts after that deal with the lighted sign: I don't care if you do it for free....either do it right or don't do it all. You're not doing anyone any favors by doing a crappy job. And if you don't know what you're doing or what represents a neat, clean and safe job that's OK, we all have our strong points and our weak points....just decline and get or let someone who does know how to do it right do it. :cool:

brianegge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So back to the original question you posed. What was the root cause / problem with the POE / Cameras?
It was just the POE switch. I put the warranty replacement in and all three have been fine. I don’t know if the ants contributed to the early failure of the switch or not.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
It was just the POE switch. I put the warranty replacement in and all three have been fine. I don’t know if the ants contributed to the early failure of the switch or not.
Good to know and dollars to donuts the ants like (TonyR) ladybugs caused a bridge and something arc’d over.

Reaction score
Ants can be such a hassle, right? But no worries, you're not alone. Lots of folks deal with these tiny critters invading their space.When it comes to dealing with ants, there are a few tricks up the sleeve. First off, gotta keep things clean and tidy. Those little buggers love food crumbs like nobody's business! Next, you might wanna try some DIY solutions like vinegar or peppermint oil – ants ain't fans of those scents. And hey, if all else fails, calling in the pest control squad might be the way to go. They're the real MVPs when it comes to kicking unwanted guests to the curb.So yeah, dealing with ants can be a bit of a hassle, but with a little patience and some know-how, you'll have your space ant-free in no time. Keep fighting the good fight against those pesky pests!

Last edited: