HSM2108 PowerSeries Neo 8 Hardwire Zone Expander-not working

sat

n3wb
Reaction score
I have followed all the steps from enrolling the zone expander by putting it the serial number and then going to confirm the zone expander. Yet still it does not show any of the zones.

please help me

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd probably try the automatic enrollment procedure.

I haven't really used the Neo panels, but there are 2 technical advisory bulletins for this product (at least one of them pertains to enrollment). Unfortunately, only DSC authorized dealers can access them. If you poke around long enough online , you can probably find the relevant info posted somewhere.

sat

n3wb
Reaction score
I have also tried the auto enrolment method but yet none of the zones are showing up even though it had said enrolled and I had confirmed the zone expander aswell.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have also tried the auto enrolment method but yet none of the zones are showing up even though it had said enrolled and I had confirmed the zone expander aswell.
Try contacting your supplier and asking if they can provide you with the technical advisory bulletins.

The data bus on the Neo is encrypted unlike the older panels.

Last edited:

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I help a small company do alm wiring that has used the DSC legacy systems. The NEO is what they're starting to use. If all else fails call their tech support. My boss was on the phone with tech support on a NEO programming issue the other day. He said the tech support guy said he liked the NEO but addmitted he had a bit of a learning curve transisioning from the legacy to the NEO.
I have no certifications and know very little about all the different systems in use, but I was able to hard wire all my zones at my house years ago, except for windows which i wasn't concerned about. It's an old DSC legacy system and has worked fine for me. It's not monitored but one day i may install a lte wireless communicator......maybe.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I help a small company do alm wiring that has used the DSC legacy systems. The NEO is what they're starting to use.
They may want consider skipping straight to the Qolsys IQ Pro, which is basically a merger of the Neo and IQ with a built in communicator and easier installation. Not sure how the panel cost compares exactly, but they should absolutely try an IQ Pro.

Last edited:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have followed all the steps from enrolling the zone expander by putting it the serial number and then going to confirm the zone expander. Yet still it does not show any of the zones.
Are you installing the zone expander in the main panel or in a remote location? How many keypads are in the system?

sat

n3wb
Reaction score
No it is in the main panel and i only have one keypad

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They may want consider skipping straight to the Qolsys IQ Pro, which is basically a merger of the Neo and IQ with a built in communicator and easier installation. Not sure how the panel cost compares exactly, but they should absolutely try an IQ Pro.
Can they accept different cellular communicators? Alm.com great but some of the small companies i work with don't always use Alm.com.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can they accept different cellular communicators? Alm.com great but some of the small companies i work with don't always use Alm.com.
That isn't 100% clear to me, but I don't think so. This is due to the encrypted bus (also on neo) and the removal or the phone dialer which can be used for dialer capture on other communicators. It's unfortunate as 4G will be sunset some time after 2030.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No it is in the main panel and i only have one keypad
One thing you could try: hook the keypad to short wires directly at the control panel, disconnect in-wall keypad wiring.
I doubt it's your problem, but it's easy to eliminate a wiring issue causing problems on the bus at large. Some panels are more sensitive the resistance and capacitance of the data bus wiring.

22-4 AWG twisted pair cable is recommended for the Neo's Corbus

Beyond that, contact your supplier, DSC tech support, or search for other threads on other forums or videos on youtube. If you get it resolved, don't forget to post the solution.

Last edited:

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That isn't 100% clear to me, but I don't think so. This is due to the encrypted bus (also on neo) and the removal or the phone dialer which can be used for dialer capture on other communicators. It's unfortunate as 4G will be sunset some time after 2030.
I thought the phone providers had 4g LTE band specific for alarm communicators that doesn't sundown until 2050. I didn't pay much attention to the specifics. just the 2050 sundown.....and i'm not an alm guy so may be way off. :idk: